Thread: LV Low Angle Jack

LV Low Angle Jack

Was in a mood recently and just closed my eyes and placed an order. Arrived today. Unpack, wipe it down, tweak a bit, use it. That simple. Perfect shavings.

I made the mistake of attending the Springfield WW show last weekend where they had a booth with everything they make. Took a real liking to that skew block plane...... sighs....... (and saws.. 'need' some more saws....)

Hello, my name is Carl and Im a plane - aholic

That is indeed a nice plane. I have one also. As for being a plane-aholic, I can completely empathize. I too have gone on a spree down that slippery slope.

My friend (yes it's Archie, who else) just got the skew block. It is one of the most comfortable planes I've ever held, even though it has one side open. Perfect size, weight etc... (yes subjective). BTW, even thought he got it to use as a special purpose tool, it has become his go to block plane (over an LN 60 1/2 and about 10-15 vintage blocks). I really didn't expect that to be the case, but its works AWESOME as a go to low angle block!

I'm a plane-aholic. It all started with the LV Low Angle Jack for me too. Shortly after came the LV BU Smoother, then the LV LA Jointer, LV LA Block, LV Medium Shoulder, a Keen Kutter No. 6 restore, a Winchester Jack restore in progress. I have everything I need, but the want list keeps growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    My friend (yes it's Archie, who else) just got the skew block. It is one of the most comfortable planes I've ever held, even though it has one side open. Perfect size, weight etc... (yes subjective). BTW, even thought he got it to use as a special purpose tool, it has become his go to block plane (over an LN 60 1/2 and about 10-15 vintage blocks). I really didn't expect that to be the case, but its works AWESOME as a go to low angle block!
    Im not sure this is 'helpful' therapy......

I have the LV Jack, the #4, skew block, medium shoulder and apron plane. I also have a well fettled Record #7 with the LV blade/cap iron and a Stanley 5 1/2 with the same LV plane iron setup. I also have two Muji's that are a treat to use. So why would I need another plane? I dunno...the LV BUS was calling my name and I answered earlier this week. I put a good honing on the A2 iron and my first shavings were full width and less than .001. Sweet! The only one left on my bucket list is the small plow plane. Oh, yeah...the large router plane would probably fit on my plane shelf. Life could definitely be worse!Regards,Ron
    Last edited by Ron Kellison; 01-19-2012 at 6:56 AM. Reason: typing errors

OK. If this is admission time, here goes:

Stanley Bailey #6 (gifted from a cabinetmaker mentor who used for 50 years) has new hock blade & breaker,
    LV LA Jack (#5)
    Clifton #4
    LV LA Smoother (#4)
    Woodriver V3 #3
    LV LA block
    LN LA Bronze skew LH
    LN Std 103 Bronze
    LV large shoulder
    Clifton #400 bullnose
    LV Large router
    LV LA Spokeshave

Oohhhh, I think I've got an addiction ...
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Blog Entries
    youse guys is just getting started...

Block & Other Planes.jpgBench plane 1.jpg

And that still ain't all of 'em.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Since we are in admission time, let me see if I can remember all while away from home:

Stanley #8, Stanley #7, Stanley #6, Stanley #5-1/2, Stanley #5 x2, Stanley #4 x3, Stanley #3, Stanley 9-1/2,
    Stanley 103, Stanley 78, Stanley 60-1/2, Stanley 71, Stanley 79, Stanley 48, Stanley 80 scraper
    Stanley spokeshaves, curved, flat and adjustable mouth

Record #50

LN 9-1/2, LN 60-1/2, LN 60-1/2R, LN 95, LN 62, LN 212 scraper, LN 71, LN 271, LN 4-1/2 highly recommend this tool &
    LN 140

LV skew rabbet
    LV apron plane
    LV medium shoulder plane (best tool ever made)

Lesson here is I need more LV planes.

/p

Blog Entries
    Stanley #3, 4, 5, 5 1/4, 6, 8
    LV LAJ, LA Jointer, side rabbet, large router
    LN #102, 60 1/2 Rabbet, 4 1/2, 10 1/4, 48
    Record 044, 050, 778

Most Used: 5 1/4, Stanley #8, LN 4 1/2
    Almost never use: LV large router, Stanley #6, LV Side Rabbet.

11. I started with restoring a stanley #4, then a #5, a #7, then numerous specialty planes. I thought I did a decent job on them. Then I too took advantage of the LV free shipping and bought a LA Jack to be my shooting plane. The one thing it taught me was that I had set all my other planes, especially the #5, up to be smoothers. The LA jack is the only one that can take a thick plane wide shaving when I open up the mouth and lower the blade. It doesn't leave as nice a surface then, but that is what the smoother is for. Now I'm in the process of turning the #5 back into a Jack plane, grinding off the back bevel, setting the frog a bit further back, I'll probably use it as a Jack on the trickier woods to get less tear out, but the LA jack is now my goto plane. I see a BU smoother in my future.

As I've stated in another forum, we're really a large group of enablers in a co-dependant relationship!
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Im not sure this is 'helpful' therapy......
    Yes, having friends who invest in quality equipment--like a new LV small plow plane--really does put a crunch on one's tools budgeting needs!!!!!! Way to go, Chris! But that LV skew block rabbet is one sweeeettttt plane.

Hi, my name is Tom and I also am a plane-aholic

Clifton #4 Smoother
    LN Medium Shoulder Plane
    LN 601/2 Block

Boggs Spokeshaves (2) - Flat & Curved

LV Planes:
    LA Jack, Router Planes(large, small & miniture), Skew Block Plane, Small Plough, Skew Rabbit, Iron Edge-Trimming (large & miniture), Cabinet Scraper

Can someone help !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gigg View Post
    Hi, my name is Tom and I also am a plane-aholic

Can someone help !!!!
    Sure... Check out the L-N 4-1/2!! <G>

Down, down, down we go.. Where we stop.. Nobody knows!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!