Thread: BlowGun/Airgun Recommendation?

BlowGun/Airgun Recommendation?

I'm outfitting my shop with a compressed air system.

I plan to have several blow guns attached to coils hanging from a 7 foot high loop about the shop for convenient dust/chip clearing.

There seem to be a variety of blow guns and I suspect it's one of those tools you actually have to hold and try out to decide what is best. I envision grabbing something hanging to quickly blow dust and chips off of. I want something that is easy to grab and return to its hanging position. I also think it should be lightweight and not capable of marring or nicking anything in the event someone is careless.

Anyone have any favorites or suggestions to consider?

I'm reticent to go with Harbor Freight as compressed air systems are dangerous and I don't want to have some cheaply made item fail to function while under pressure.

McMaster-Carr has a variety under "Blowgun", though as I mentioned, going to a place where I can actually hold the unit and play with it may be needed.
    John L. Poole

2. guard air whisper jet

I really like my guard air whisper jet. More directional and quieter than most.

I know you didn't mention it in your post, but just in case it's worth mentioning. I strongly recommend against using the air gun to blow dust/chips off of your person; I've read some nasty after action reports about folks who did.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Schwarzkopf View Post
    I really like my guard air whisper jet. More directional and quieter than most.

I know you didn't mention it in your post, but just in case it's worth mentioning. I strongly recommend against using the air gun to blow dust/chips off of your person; I've read some nasty after action reports about folks who did.

Dave
    Can you elaborate a bit on the dangers involved in blowing sawdust off yourself? I do that routinely.

YES , THE AIR CAN FORCE THE CHIPS OR DUST THRU. YOUR SKIN or into your eyes,
    your title for this post are misleading, when I saw the name I thought that you was asking about hunting with a blowgun

ENCO (use-enco.com) almost always has Coilhose Pneumatics polyurethane self storing (coiled) air hose on sale. Check sales flyer on line. A set which is hose and blow gun is usually about two bucks more than just hose.

I think I have a Wilton brand. Been using it for 30 years. It has a rubber tip (3/4" long?) so you don't scratch stuff up. The trigger is long too, which provides good leverage.

I have half a dozen of those things laying around but never where I'm looking. I think they hide with the tape measure and my good ol' number 2s. The HF ones are as good as the box store units IMO. I have some with rubber tips to not scratch but I don't remember hiting the work with one in the past. I have some that came with a safe nozzle, It's just ported on the side so if it "feels" too much resistance it gos out the side port.

Those things are cheap and not a exacting tool so just pick up a few and see what like. YMMV.

I use compressed air when I am out doors to blow off machines but I would not do so indoors. Try and borrow a dust measuring device, I am blanking on the brand a friend has. He has a good dust system and the levels of particulate matter are typically quite low, even with a large wood CNC machine in the shop. However, when he sweeps the floor, even gently, the meter goes right into the red zone. That is from just sweeping the floor which he does wearing a filter mask. Compressed air is wonderful for all kinds of tools but I purchased some longer duct for my shop vac to clean up. I hate the sound of a screw or some other ufo clunking trough the dust system. I like the idea of floor sweeps but my blower impeller is alloy and I like the idea of not replacing it even more. But as to your question blow guns and nossles are truly like tape measures. They are indispensable, cheap, and they have to be spread out all through the shop to work for me. Neither are all that accurate or precise relative to metal rulers and calipers, etc. I have not noticed any functional difference between "good" and "cheap" blow guns. If I do want to blow sanded material it is into a hood integrated into the dust system. I can really tell when I have been careful about dust and when I have been careless. Take care of yourself.

I have to disagree that there is no difference between a cheap one and one of quality. Just like any other cheap tool a cheap blowgun is a source of annoyance when the trigger bends, the tip falls out, the pin for the trigger comes half way out.

For just a few dollars more, and certianly less in the long run, why not buy one that will work well for years?

Milton has some heavy duty units that can be had at real auto parts stores, not in the wallmart type auto stores. These will last for many years and the trigger will not fall off in two months.

One of Miltons units that I really like is a blowgun with a four foot extension so I can be back away from what I am doing and you can clean out under machines without bending over. I have one with a two foot extension as well, but I like the four.

Larry

10. Using it on yourself is not a good idea for several reasons. As mentioned the danger of getting junk in your eyes, but folks have actually blown air into open cuts/wounds. Air bubbles and your circulatory system don't mix well.

This is from the Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety, (their version of OSHA):
    What are the hazards of using compressed air?First, compressed air is extremely forceful. Depending on its pressure, compressed air can dislodge particles. These particles are a danger since they can enter your eyes or abrade skin. The possible damage would depend on the size, weight, shape, composition, and speed of the particles. There have also been reports of hearing damage caused by the pressure of compressed air and by its sound.
    Second, compressed air itself is also a serious hazard. On rare occasions, some of the compressed air can enter the blood stream through a break in the skin or through a body opening. An air bubble in the blood stream is known medically as an embolism, a dangerous medical condition in which a blood vessel is blocked, in this case, by an air bubble. An embolism of an artery can cause coma, paralysis or death depending upon its size, duration and location. While air embolisms are usually associated with incorrect diving procedures, they are possible with compressed air due to high pressures. While this seems improbable, the consequences of even a small quantity of air or other gas in the blood can quickly be fatal.
    In addition, using air to clean forces the dirt and dust particles into the air, making these contaminants airborne and creating a respiratory hazard.
    Unfortunately, horseplay has been a cause of some serious workplace accidents caused by individuals not aware of the hazards of compressed air, or proper work procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I think I have a Wilton brand. Been using it for 30 years. It has a rubber tip (3/4" long?) so you don't scratch stuff up. The trigger is long too, which provides good leverage.
    Milton. Not wilton. I have a Milton. And I'm certain I bought it at an Autoparts store. That's what I was doing (wrenching) 30 years ago.