Thread: Jessem Doweling Jig

Jessem Doweling Jig

I just received my Jessem yesterday so far I love it. The only issue is that the 9.7mm bit supplied with the jig does'nt drill very well in hardwoods. I tried a 3/8 brad point and that works much better. The 3/8 bit is slightly loose in the 9.7mm guides but so far in my tests it has'nt affected accuracy. Has anyone else have experience with using different size bits with the Jessem?

I've only used the 1/4" bit (not sure what metric equivalent the bit actually is). I've used it in Cherry and Poplar. I had some issues with end grain in the Cherry, but I ended up solving that by just drilling the hole a second time when needed. That seemed to clean up the hole just enough for my dowels.

I thought about getting the equivalent brad point bit to see if that would work better, but since these bits are fractional metric I don't know how readily available that would be in brad point.

I love this jig by the way.

Blog Entries
    Is the JessEm jig really metric? Their web site says it comes with 3/8 bit and bushing!

"New dowelling jig from JessEm. Create 1/4" and 3/8" (3/8" drill bushings and drill bit included) dowel holes on the end or face of your work piece. "
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I believe the instructions state that the bits (and therefore the bushings) are slightly over-sized to compensate for dowels that are not exactly 1/4" or 3/8" in diameter. Or at least I think I read that somewhere. My instructions are in my basement shop; I can check later if anyone needs the details.

Anyway, 3/8" is 9.525mm (I think), so the bit is 9.7mm to compensate.

Can you use the jig on a compound angle? I called Jessem yesterday to ask and was told they would get back with an answer, never heard back from them.

Thanks!
    Ed

The reference plate doesn't have any hinge-like capabilities, so I would think compound angles would require a corresponding piece in order to make the reference and clamping surfaces line up appropriately. But then in that case the pieces might shift during the clamping.

Maybe they will call you on Monday.

The instructions read " your Jessem Doweling Jig comes standard with a 9.7mm drillbit and bushings which are slightly oversize to accommodate variations in dowel size" I tried a 3/8 brad point bit and although its fits the bushing a little loose it does'nt seem to affect accuracy.