Thread: first article, what do you guys think?

John Szarek Guest

first article, what do you guys think?

http://www.woodworker.ws/Doghouse/Default.htm

The article is about making interlocking captive rings.

Any thoughts?

John, that's a very nice article that has pictures that say a lot. Excellent job...I think I could do that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very Good John. The only thing i would ask is the addition of a discussion of the "Ring" tool for us nephites.

Thanks,

Bruce

That's a little down the road for me, but is certainly easy to understand information that I will keep in my folder for future use.

Thanks for the article.
    Ernie

Very nice John, Thanks You made it easy to follow.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I looked at that and thought, gee, it would be nice if David Copperfield had a website like that, to show us how the magic tricks are done!

I'm gonna definately try that some time. As soon as I read that article that Bruce was talking about, haha

John,

I followed the link from IAP and noticed you had also included it over here. Nice article, I have bookmarked it for later reference (much later) and I am with Bruce on a description of what the tool is and how to use it and maybe most important - where to get it!

Great article, easy to follow - very descriptive.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

John,

I really like it! As the others said, discuss how to make the beads and the captive rings. Then it would be great if you would write it up as a post and they admin could move it to the articles section of the site!

Jeff
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

John Szarek Guest
    Please give me a couple of days to get over some minor hand surgery, and get all my typing fingers back. I will put something together from your suggestions.

Thank you for your feedback.
    John

John Szarek Guest

The above picture shows the 3 tools produced by sorby for producing captive rings. Crown and other manufacturers also make similar tools. I have used this picture because it was the nicest.

The center tool is their bead forming tool. If you are not comfortable cutting your beads with a diamond parting tool, this tool can be used to scrape a bead onto your wood.

To the left and right of the beading tool are the captive ring tools. They also work with a scraping cut. If you notice, the tip is angularly cut, this allows you to hook the tool around the back of the ring. While watching to make sure your are maintaining full contact with the bead at all times, slide the tool down the rest to cut the back of the bead. Watch where the outside edge of the tool is pointing, because that will show you where you are with the tip of the tool.

It is important to keep backing the tool out. The tip is a thin small piece of metal. It heats up quickly and can burn the wood if you do not back it out to cool. Also make sure you have a clear exit are for the ring to go to once it is cut off. If it is trapped, it will try to go back into the tool, catch and ruin the nice ring you worked so hard on.

I hope this information helps.
    John
    Last edited by John Szarek; 03-16-2005 at 1:39 PM.

Great article and easy step-by-step instructions, John. Nice goblet ahd love the rings. Printed the article and will save for future projects.
    Jerry