Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water jet?

water jet?

anyone out there running a water jet cutter? i recently started running a water jet quiet alot at work and was wondering if that was covered by this section, or if i should find another forum
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Blog Entries
    I have no issues with it going in here...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    anyone out there running a water jet cutter? i recently started running a water jet quiet alot at work and was wondering if that was covered by this section, or if i should find another forum
    I ran a water jet cutter for a few years. It's a neat CNC machine. I made a few fun items(cutting granite floor tiles) for personal use after work.The only bad part about running a water jet is shoveling out all the abrasive material that eventually fills up the water table.
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

some time ago there was some conversations about the cnc forum being a single post reply one horse deal.. it causes lots of good subject matter to ride down and die (even though you can use the search feature).. my hope is eventually this cnc forum will be divided into commercial, hobby, diy, and general discussion. as individual forums compared to the activity of a couple of years ago when we were pretty excited to see it grow it has slowed quite a bit. now some of us are more apt to have post removed and topics that could relate to advertisers (we all need money to fund our endevors) just fall by the wayside. i would think the expanded forum would be more attractive to perspective advertisers

one of my next machines will be a water jet, yet the diy fellows (well intended) will bury the topic quickly

moderator before you edit my profile or delete my post just tell me how much money you want and where to pay,, i am not dependant on this forum for my income
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 01-14-2012 at 7:21 AM.

I've seen them but haven't run one myself. I've run a large cutting laser before, and I imagine the coding is somewhat similar.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Alexander View Post
    I ran a water jet cutter for a few years. It's a neat CNC machine. I made a few fun items(cutting granite floor tiles) for personal use after work.The only bad part about running a water jet is shoveling out all the abrasive material that eventually fills up the water table.
    i second the abraasive clean out. we started one this morning and its the first i have done. PITA for sure. that sludge is so heavy.

we do quiet alot of work on the water jet, but some of the more interesting jobs we arent always sure the best way to do it. just finished some work for nasa and had to sit and watch the machine and take the parts out as they were cut for each of the 6 sheets at 5 hours cut time a peice. about 110 parts per sheet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    moderator before you edit my profile or delete my post just tell me how much money you want and where to pay,, i am dependant on this forum for my income
    Contact Keith about becoming a sponsor... and you can always become a Friend of the Creek.
    Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    one of my next machines will be a water jet, yet the diy fellows (well intended) will bury the topic quickly
    I did a little research a few years back into what it would take to make a DIY waterjet. The most expensive part, by far, was the high-pressure water pump. The CNC portion of it all (rails, motors, controllers, etc.) is no different than any other DIY CNC machine, except for the extra precautions to take water and grit into account. But that pump is mucho expensive... and the electrical requirements were no slouch, either. It's doable, and you could easily come in waaaay under budget compared to a COTS machine (similar to a Joe's CNC versus a ShopBot), but you definitely need to be the industrious type. It's the usual exchange of time for money.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Funny I cannot believe I posted that I was dependent on this forum for my income,, my bad sometimes I respond to quickly
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 01-13-2012 at 4:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Contact Keith about becoming a sponsor... and you can always become a Friend of the Creek.

I did a little research a few years back into what it would take to make a DIY waterjet. The most expensive part, by far, was the high-pressure water pump. The CNC portion of it all (rails, motors, controllers, etc.) is no different than any other DIY CNC machine, except for the extra precautions to take water and grit into account. But that pump is mucho expensive... and the electrical requirements were no slouch, either. It's doable, and you could easily come in waaaay under budget compared to a COTS machine (similar to a Joe's CNC versus a ShopBot), but you definitely need to be the industrious type. It's the usual exchange of time for money.

we have a "hydrajet" from accura tools. a 3 phase 60hp motor gives it around 60k psi. we are a small shop, and only have 3 full time workers and me part time cause of college. so its not a huge commercial enterprise. but we do a fair amount of work on it

Without 3 phase, the most a DIY'er could achieve about 10-15 HP, I'm guessing. Would that power a small water jet?

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Without 3 phase, the most a DIY'er could achieve about 10-15 HP, I'm guessing. Would that power a small water jet?
    deisel powered pump? or get a phase converter. or get 3 phase.

When considering building your own water jet, be aware that the slightest leak can be deadly, as the stream can inject water and bacteria deep into the flesh.
    Gerry

JointCAM

http://www.flowwaterjet.com/en/water...jets-work.aspx i out source granite and glass to be cut in applications.. the fellows who own it cut gaskets for plant retrofits and are not dependant on me for income, i wouldl think one would want a constant uend use to own one

My point is, the power required to run a water jet pump may stop a lot of DIY'ers before they get started. If you don't have 3 phase, getting it can be very expensive or impossible, depending on how close 3 phase power is to your location. A phase converter has limitations, as the amperage requirement on the single phase side get high as the horse power goes up. Gas or diesel power would be an option.

Suddenly my DIY CNC router seems simple and cheap.

we dont have a constant stream of work, but we try to. we have gotten things like special carbide from princeton U to cut into test sample. nasa parts, clutch plate parts, gaskets, brake parts. all sorts of things. always looking for more work to put on it though