Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What are your biggest obstacles in the turning world?

For me there are two things, space and production work. I live in a townhouse so I cannot have a pile of logs on the driveway. Thus, whenever wood comes my way, I need to process it into blanks immediately. Unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way of that.

I really dislike production work. The items which I lump into this category are pens, peppermills & the like. Funny thing is, I turn mostly bowls and that doesn't bother me.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

I would say hollowing the transition area, sides to bottom. Always a catch in there for me.I say this esp. in regards to a HF with a small opening.The other is the limits of my tools esp. for hollowing. I don't have a swan neck or a carbide set at an angle.I use an old shopsmith scraper with a round head that allows me to get up under the shoulder. Rob

Roughing out a blank on the bandsaw.

Sanding with the roughest grit to remove tool marks and tearout.

Everything brand new turner well might as well be haven't turned in at least 10 years.

No obstacles, only more turning opportunities! Retired and every day is Saturday except Sunday.
    God is great and life is good!

This Year I participated in 2 fall shows,which the sales really took off for me. The market is there. When people like what they see, they will spend the money. I turn mainly salad bowls 10" through 20" and "Art" pieces, Open Forms, HF's, Burls. To find or make a tool rest to extend into a 10" HF is on my list. Sharp cutting tools really helped reducing my sanding time. 007.jpg

Paul,
    First off Welcome to posting (I see that was your first post)! Secondly, I have a question. What would you need or use a tool rest to extend into a HF for?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

For me it is having way too much wood, not enough time and lately no physical ability to stand at the lathe very long, but that is getting better. But I think my biggest issue is that I love roughing out things and the pile has gotten very big, and never finishing them!

Want more money too!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I'm just curious, what aspect of turning gives you the most trouble. Could be sharpening or hollowing or anything you can think of. Then lets see if we can come up with some solutions.
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Time. Since I have a job, that I work way too many hours on, I have little time to turn. HOWEVER, if I had no job, I would have lots of time to turn, but NO MONEY.

Oh, sanding would be #2 on the list. And yes I agree, buy good paper. Sanding will still suck though.