Thread: A couple new frames

A couple new frames

Now that the weather has turned cold I get to spend some time in the shop. Here's a couple frames I whipped up to knock off the cobwebs. Now on to some more challenging stuff.

Makore (African Cherry) with rosewood pegs. Half Lap construction. A little Greene and Greene influence.

Mahogany stain and Garnet Shellac + paste wax.

QSWO with M&T Construction. Oak Pegs. Reddish Brown Trans-Tint Dye + Chestnut Stain. Garnet Shellac and Paste Wax.

A couple warts that didn't show up until the finishing was done (ain't that always the way?) but all in all it turned out decent.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Pretty cool! I love the finish on the QSWO.

Very elegant!

These are very nicely done. I like the relative simplicity of the designs and the finish is very nice too. I don't recall seeing the Makore wood before - it looks a lot more like mahogany than cherry to me. Is it expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    These are very nicely done. I like the relative simplicity of the designs and the finish is very nice too. I don't recall seeing the Makore wood before - it looks a lot more like mahogany than cherry to me. Is it expensive?
    I paid about 1/2 the price of Mahogany and looks nearly identical. This piece was 1/4 sawn too so the grain is really nice and straight. It's pretty hard wood and is said to be tough on tools. I thought it worked pretty easily myself.

Word of caution: The dust is pretty irritating, kind of like Black Walnut or Rosewood. Wear a dust mask! I did some hand sanding without one and had some nasty nasal/sinus issues.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Very nice Rob, I love a little G & G inspiration.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Nice work on a couple good looking frames Rob..