Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lie Nielsen scraper plane to try

If anyone struggles with these splendid tools, I did my best to publish comprehensive guidance for the 112 Scraper Plane (and others) in my 6th Lie-Nielsen DVD.

45 degrees with a hook has a true cutting action like Hoadleys type two chip.

best wishes,
    David Charlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    If anyone struggles with these splendid tools, I did my best to publish comprehensive guidance for the 112 Scraper Plane (and others) in my 6th Lie-Nielsen DVD.

best wishes,
    David Charlesworth
    Having watched the DVD, and applied that method...

.. until or unless someone else comes along with something faster and finer (that also works every single time), that is the only way to prepare a scraper plane. The material on shoulder plane setup is also good, and the back bevel info as well for folks who don't like proper double iron setup and who can't afford to have specialty planes (i cannot recall the rest of the segments, but the DVD was a long one with several things on it, if I remember).

In terms of the scraper set up, the cutting action is nice, and the surface left behind is surprisingly good for a scraper - better maybe than some very steep planes, and especially compared to an iron that has been left straight with no burr. The wood is cut off instead of being scratched off.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I'm not sure where this is at but I'd like to give it a whirl. I have an old stanley that needs some work (thanks Mark!) and I built one of my own designs but I wouldn't mind trying a store bought unit before I try to repair the Stanley.
    Hi Leigh,

Howard has this now, then Trevor. You are in line after Trevor then.

David,

Thank you. The DVD had five topics, I also looked at decorative planed bevels and planing the face of a mortise & tennoned door.

It seems to me that a scraper plane with a hook, is like a type 2 setup with an almost infinitely close set chipbreaker. It is a cutting tool and leaves a very nice surface.

I have never understood the logic behind the 60 degree bevel with no hook.

Best wishes,
    David Charlesworth

So far we have had:

Brian
    Howard
    Trevor

Leigh is next in line.

After Leigh........??

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    So far we have had:

Brian
    Howard
    Trevor

Leigh is next in line.

After Leigh........??
    Can I throw my name in the ring? I've just learned to make a Sargeant cabinet scraper go and would love to try a full-on scraper plane.

Thanks, Curt

You are after Leigh then Curt. Feel free to PM him with shipping contact info.

Leigh has this boxed up and ready to ship - who is next in line??

(Curt threw his name in but I havent gotten an address yet - Curt??)

With everyone tripping over themselves to get in line, many have failed to see we have a woodworking master in our midst. David Charlesworth, I have seen many of your DVDs, but not the one you mentioned. I will be sure to check it out. I hope to read more great posts from you here and am glad to see you are back on your feet. Keep em coming!

Carl - sent you a PM back when I 1st posted
    Will try it again.

[Edit] Have also sent regular email

Thanks, Curt
    Last edited by Curt Putnam; 03-28-2012 at 2:44 PM.

Carl -

Scraper planes are notoriously hard to "get the hang of setting" properly. The good news is... once you "get it", it's easy to do.

Stop by a trade show or LN event and get someone to show you how to set it up - it's a good plane to have!

Rob
    (who uses a different, but similar, plane
    frequently... )

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post

best wishes,
    David Charlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Carl -

Scraper planes are notoriously hard to "get the hang of setting" properly. The good news is... once you "get it", it's easy to do.

Stop by a trade show or LN event and get someone to show you how to set it up - it's a good plane to have!

Rob
    (who uses a different, but similar, plane
    frequently... )
    Thanks for the comments David/Rob!

I have the smaller 212 and love it. I tend to go freehand with a card scraper on the bigger areas, vs reaching for this larger plane. So thought it would be fun to send it around and hear the experiences others have with it. (which... ahem.... we have not heard feedback on)

As my grandfather would have said - Im not holding my tongue right....

Will certainly look for the next opportunity for hands on at a trade show. (I do have some 'other' well known brand planes)

Wow..... Rob, David, other distinguished members of the WW community. SMC is a great place!

Anyone want in line after Curt? Otherwise its coming back home.....

I'd be interesting in trying it. What are the rules again?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post
    I'd be interesting in trying it. What are the rules again?
    Just send me a PM with your address and I will forward to the prior user so they can ship it out.

You get it to play with for any 'reasonable' amount of time you like, and then forward along to the next guy (so essentially you end up paying shipping on the outbound)

Its that simple.