Thread: What is a Festool ATF 55e?

What is a Festool ATF 55e?

Someone locally is selling a Festool ATF 55e for $300, I'm not familiar with the Festool history but is this before the TS 55e? How old would this be and what's the difference between the ATF and the TS? Is this a good deal?

Thanks

I believe Festool ATF 55e preceded the TS55. It has a stamped steel base instead of the cast base the TS 55 has.
    Here is a link to a review of the ATF 55e. http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/festo..._55e_part1.htm

Hi Bob, I think it was their original rail saw. I've have had one for years and years - can't actually say how long but it could be pushing 10. There's a review here: http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/festo..._55e_part1.htm

Mine has been rock solid - never a hint of a problem. I've never used or carefully evaluated the latest model, and have never felt the need to. My only disappointment is that I didn't buy the larger version.

It makes the same dead clean cuts as the new one, plunge cuts, has a depth stop (which actually helps a lot when sawing cheap ply or the like that's prone to splintering), decent dust collection and a motor speed control and load monitor. There's a minor tolerance difference between the old and the latest guide rail, but it only needs a tiny tweak of a screw to run on the new one - my original was driven over.

Probably the only minor inconvenience is that the distance of the blade from the rail changes with the tilt angle - i may have heard that the new one stays constant. (or maybe not)

Don't know what a decent price in your part of the world is, but if that's US $ it could be expensive but depends I suppose on age and condition....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-07-2012 at 12:21 AM.

I bought an ATF 55 new 6 years ago. Here is a laundry list of changes made when Festool replaced it with the TS 55.
    The TS 55 is slightly more powerful. The baseplate is a composite, as opposed to pressed steel on the ATF 55. This has less friction, so it slides easier. The only change that has real significance is the addition of a small foot that serves as a splinter guard. Lastly,the markings on the bevel guide are easier to read.

My Festool dealer advised me that I would be wasting my time and money to replace my old saw with the new model. The ATF originally sold for about $280, I believe. So $300 is not a great price.

Blade changes are easier on the TS 55. It also has a spring loaded riving knife. I think the TS 55 is marked in metric and fractions. The ATF 55 is marked in metric only.
    Last edited by John McClanahan; 01-07-2012 at 10:12 AM.