Thread: Makita 1016, Bosch Axial, Milwaukee 6955 - accuracy and longevity

Makita 1016, Bosch Axial, Milwaukee 6955 - accuracy and longevity

Hate to have a this or that post be my first, but I found the site shopping for a miter saw. I've searched here and the web like crazy and feel that at this point I am being misled by opinions that are brand loyalty instead of reality so I wanted to ask myself.

I am mostly concerned with accuracy and realize that this is extremely operator influenced and that all three should be more than stellar, but being a woodworking noob and only a hobbyist I'd like to start with the best platform possible so that when I screw up it is all on me and not my capability to get around any potential shortcomings with the gear.

My second concern is longevity. I'd like this to last a lifetime. Obviously if I start using it a ton I'd be okay with the lifetime being shorter, but don't expect that to be the case.

The projects that are making me pursue this:
    1) Bought a house from 1974 that needs all new trim
    2) It also needs a new deck
    3) I have built 7 or 8 pieces of furniture as my starting point and plan to continue
    4) Eventually I will build new kitchen cabinets as well.
    5) Lots of random house projects: knife block, cutting board, frames, speakers, etc

I have a Unisaw in the garage and this saw will sit in the garage on a table 90% of the time (I'll move it in the house for the trim work). The Bosch's space saving design has some rather strong merit for where it will be sitting.

I went to 7 corners in St Paul yesterday and played with all three. They pushed the Makita based on saving a couple hundred bucks, but considering my lifetime goal I don't want to regret saving that money in a few years and wish I had bought something else. Not being a woodworker with experience with other miter saws (other than my BIL's current POS) the Bosch really "felt" the best to me. Classically longevity of anything German has always scared me from a financial perspective though.

What do you think I should do?

Welcome to the site!

I think you're asking a lot for any miter saw to last a lifetime (unless you're 70, of course).

German engineering has passed the test of time, but they do like things to be maintained correctly. That said, I looked and looked for instructions on maintaining my GCM12SD, and other than clean it off, I couldn't find any. I've had mine a year, and it's built 3 or 4 shop projects, but really found its niche in remodeling the basement to give me a shop. Now it's being used to remodel the other half of the basement to give me a bigger shop

I can't speak for the Makita, but the Bosch has been everything I hoped for. It's terrific. Whether it will be the same in 10 years, I don't know, but even if it isn't, after 10 years, it won't owe me anything.

Thanks Mark, I am not 70 but by lifetime I meant something I don't want to replace because it does what it needs. If I start to use it way more than my initial plan and I "wear" it out then I'll be glad to buy another saw

I have the Makita 1016L and it has been OK. I had a heck of a time getting all the angles set on the fence but once done it has not drifted any. I used it to trim my whole house it it made it a breeze. I have only played with the Bosch and Milwaukee. If money where not an issue I would have got the Bosch with the stand it comes with.

Scott

I have the Milwaukee, nothing bad to say about it but I did get it when HD blew them out for $299. If the Bosch had been out then AND I had to pay regular price for the Milwaukee I would have gotten the Glider. That all said have they fixed the flatness issue with the Glider's table?

You could just bite the bullet and get the best, a Kapex.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yup, the Kapex warrants a look if you've got a lot of projects that demand accuracy lined up for your new saw. As any of the Festoolies will tell you, you can pick up the Kapex right before a project, try it for 30 days, and if you feel it's not worth the $1300 pricetag, return it for a full refund. The problem is, as Festoolies will also tell you, you will end up keeping the saw.

I have had 3 compound mitre saws. Recently I built a new home shop in a new home. As most, my space is limited about 30' x 22', 2 car garage (no cars). I do all types of woodworking, although I specialize in Greene and Greene commission work.

I chose the Bosch Axial which I mounted in the center of a 30' long bench. The back of the Bosch sits about 4" from the wall. To my knowledge the Axial was the only saw I could do this with. Although the saw was quite expensive I have not regretted my decision. I do not have a single complaint. Holds accuracy well, well designed up front adjustments, absoultely zero flex in the articulated arm. This saw is adjustable to quarter of a degree, not bad!

I highly recommend this saw. Glenn