Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Tour #2

Shop Tour #2

hello ww's

here is the next installment for the shop tour. I wanted to show you all my most recent addition, which is where I store a lot of my wood. It is not heated and therefore the wood is at 12% moisture. I also store a fair amount in my main shop which is heated and that wood is @ 6-8% ( this is the wood I will be using for projects ). I move the wood in to my shop when I am in the planning process. The little building is about 14x20 and as you can see from the photos half of it is for storage and the other half is for pulling and evaluating the wood for the project. Once it is pulled it moves into the heated shop. Each "bin" can hold about 1000 bd feet if it is full to the top with 10' lenghts.
    I have quite a few boards in the 18 to 20" wide range, but as I have indicated in prevous posts they do present unique problems, and often get ripped down to narrower stock. Enjoy. I believe that the next shop tour will be taking a look inside the red building.

lou
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lou sansone; 03-13-2005 at 5:27 PM.

Lou,

I can't help but think you're sitting there smiling at us mere mortals. Come on, quit teasing us!

Bob

Wow. Can I come and get some wood??? Maybe even make a snow angel outside while I am there. I am already mowing the yard for what promises to be another long hot Texas gulf coast summer. That sure looks inviting. I am anxiously waiting on pics of the inside. I bet it is nothing less than awe inspiring.

Nice pictures of your local hardwood dealer!!

Richard

Ahhh...You know, guys; He's just toying with us now! He's probably just got a skill saw, drill and router in that big red thing! Yeah. Right. And I'm the queen of England. Come on, Lou!!! You're killin' us here!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

WOW, that's some lumber storage shed!

I'm really enjoying the tour.

David marks has some competition! Just color me green.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

That is so not fair!! That is an unabashed stealth gloat if I've seen one. Tyler, something has to be done here.
    But I'll tell you what old buddy, old friend. lemme take those pesky 18"-20" ers off your hands. Let me absolve you of all those "unique problems", I'll even trade you skinny one hander boards.
    Seriously though, that is a nice barn/ shop you have there, and you should be applauded for recreating the historic feel of a building like that..

Hey.... I am up for adoption

How could any human being be THAT blessed?

Hmmm ... your wood shed is nicer than my shop and your shop is twice the size of my house. Sounds like a fair swap! Now, if I can get the drool wiped off the keyboard in time for tour parts 3 - 12, I'll be OK.

Paybacks, Lou, Paybacks!! This is killin' me.

John

I'm using the picture of the wood shed to show my wife what I'm thinking of putting in our new house as my whole shop

Thanks for making it easier on us all!! By Shop tour#6 we may actually be "inside"

Being a building contractor, after tour #1 I was in awe of you skills to make a building "fit" into your needs and keeping within the theme of the neighborhod. After tour #2 as a woodworker I am in awe of your inventory and storage of them. I am anxiously awaiting the next "tour".

hey guys

thanks for the nice comments. Now think about this.... you can show your wife these photos and she can't possibly say that your plans are excessive after seeing my madness.. So I am actually doing all of you a favor.

I did want to point out that when you do make a place for storage it is worth considering including some space for sorting the wood out. The other point that I wanted to make is for those of you who are able to and the seriousness of your hobby supports it that buying wood when you don't need it is the best way to buy wood. Obvioulsly, I have more than I can probably use, but I do sometimes actually give it away to charity type events and sell small amounts to folks who need a board here or there. It is a good way to make a friend, and get to know people.

MY Goodness

Lou,
    That's a lifetime supply! Enjoy!
    Dave