Thread: DMT Work Sharp discs - anyone use them?

DMT Work Sharp discs - anyone use them?

These have been out for a while but I don't find many reviews from anyone who has actually used them.

Does anyone have these? Have they been worth while?

Thanks for any information.

Cliff

A bump for the night crowd. Has no one any experience with these?

Cliff

I have used them for final sharpening and they have worked great for me. however I am not too picky about sharpening as some peple are so hopefully someone else will speak up. That said they do save on sandpaper and are VERY convenient. But pricey.
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    A bump for the night crowd. Has no one any experience with these?

Cliff
    So, i've used cheaper versions (You can get diamond discs from lapidary supply stores) on my worksharp, and they work well.
    DMT makes good stuff, i'm sure they are just as good if not better.

However, since finding good suppliers for the micro-mesh abrasives, i haven't bothered to buy more diamond discs (or DMT ones).
    It's just not cost effective given how long the micro-mesh ones last.

The diamond discs won't make your tools any sharper, either.

Tell me more about the micro mesh abrasives that you're using with the worksharp. I'm familiar with micromesh, but not in any form that will work on a worksharp.

And you're 100% right. Just switching over to diamond won't make anything sharper.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-06-2012 at 8:06 AM.

The strength of the diamond might be in it's ability to in coarser grades shift lots of metal without putting too much heat in, or wearing badly???

I'd be interested in hearing more about the micro mesh abrasives too. The cushion in the fabric might not be ideal...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-06-2012 at 9:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Tell me more about the micro mesh abrasives that you're using with the worksharp. I'm familiar with micromesh, but not in any form that will work on a worksharp.

And you're 100% right. Just switching over to diamond won't make anything sharper.

Peachtree has 6" no hole Micromesh http://ptreeusa.com/microMesh.htm
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Good idea Van . . . but those are hook n' loop. The backing has to be PSA for it to work on the glass plates. I'm sure they have that product as well, but i've not seen it in any of the major woodworking retailers we all talk about on this forum.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Berlin View Post
    The diamond discs won't make your tools any sharper, either.
    Daniel,

Not looking to get things sharper. Hoping to get as sharp as with my waterstones but with less fuss. The quick change ability that the diamond discs have is attractive along with the claimed lifespan of the discs. The one thing I don't like about my Work Sharp is changing paper, scraping off the old disk and cleaning the plate before mounting a new one. It's just enough of a pain that I may not change as often as I should sometimes. If the diamond discs can match what I can get with my Shaptons I think the cost may be worth it for the ease of use.

Cliff

Klingspor sells Worksharp compatible sandpaper. It's beent posted about as being less expensive and much longer lasting. I can vouch for the cheaper part. I bought several sets, but haven't opened any of them yet. I also bought some additional glass disks. I'm going to but the same grit on both sides of the disks and see if I can't lablel them with a sharpie around the outside. My notion is I just grab a disk and go, it will last twice as long and I don't have to flip it over if sharpening underneath and flattening the back on top. When I get around to building a stand for the Worksharp, I'll incorporate slotted storage for the disks.

I've thought seriously 9and been goaded at least once on SMC <g>) to get some of those diamond disks to try. Be tempting to use them on some rough planes I have, just not sure the effort to get the blades fixed up wouldn't be better spent on new/modern blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    Good idea Van . . . but those are hook n' loop. The backing has to be PSA for it to work on the glass plates. I'm sure they have that product as well, but i've not seen it in any of the major woodworking retailers we all talk about on this forum.
    ]

Duh, I had it in my head they were PSA and didn't even look when I brought up the page, I was just making sure they had 6" with no holes! Now I am intrigued since that is the only place I have seen the MM discs. Like you I am sure they are out there.

Here we go: http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_discs.htm
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have used the lapidary discs on my makita years ago. They just did not hold up. diamond is bad enough on tool steel but when you power it the wear increases so much faster. I did only use courser grits but still. sandpaper is more economical and will always be sharp.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing