Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with Grizzley G0609 or the G9953ZX Jointers and G1033X planer?

I have the Griz GO609 jointer w the Byrd cutterhead, only thing I don't like is the byrd only cuts 11 3/4", where if you buy the standard one from Griz, you get the full 12". And I had to install it myself. As for weight, lucky for me, my shop has a 9' ceiling, and I placed it in the shop with my skidsteer.

I've owned the 1033X planer for 4 years and the 609X jointer for 3. No problems with either with hobbyist use. I use mostly teak and west indian mahogany and I have not had to rotate the inserts on either machine as yet. The planer came with a byrd head and the jointer came with a grizzly head. Grizzly provided the best value for money for me at the time of purchase. I will consider upgrading to a 16" jointer in the future and will look at Grizzly again.

Mikail

While combo machines are space efficient, just make sure the work process will not annoy you. Even though the change over between jointing and planing is not much time it does cause you to stop do the change over and in most cases adjust the dust collection hood. I found that this change in flow was annoying to me and I am returning to separates. Care must be taken to tension the jointer table the same amount every time otherwise the cast iron table does not return to the same levelness. Also, the planer is lower on a J/P and requires you to bend ver more and also the outfeed table support is less than typical 20" planers that are in the 45-55" range. I have the minimax 410 Elite and the machine is well built, but I'm not sure it is miles ahead of PM 209 or Grizzly 1033X type planers. Better, maybe. For a hobbyist not sure the difference in build would affect the results. In my case, separates will be a better fit to the way I want to work and also provide more upgrade flexibility without changing out both Jointer and planer.