Thread: Grizzly Lathe Problems

Grizzly Lathe Problems

I have the Grizzly G1495. It's a 14"x40" but the problem is that the tool rest body is too short. It will only extend out far enough for the tool rest to be 4.5" away from center. They don't make one bigger for any of their lathes. They do make an extension out of cast iron, but I've broken three of them already. I know I'm new at this, but they are not breaking on catches, just regular pressure of shaving. The first one broke when I tugged on it to make sure it was secure.
    Anyone out there had this same problem? I was thinking of measuring some other lathes to see if the toolrest body will fot mine, find a parts catalog, and order it.
    Looking for suggestions.

Erine

Maybe get one made from steel?

Tool Rest

Ernie,
    In some cases, Grizzly is a good cost/value purchase. On the other hand, their "thinner" castings are not famous for their durability. Castings of any size can be extremely strong and durable. However, a single speck of dirt, sand, etc. can completely destroy their integrity. Enough said.

If I were you, I would take the toolrest over to a local welding shop and have them match up the shaft or use the existing shaft and weld a simple piece of 3/16" angle iron to that shaft. Keep the length of the angle iron to 12-14". Ask them for their input regarding the type of angle iron to use. It may not be "perfect" but it will be a LOT better than what you have now. It will also be less expensive than going for a "special" aftermarket toolrest.

I hope that this helps!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Ernie, the root of the problem is that this lathe and many similar ones were really designed for spindle turning...which means the tool rest base is perfect for the design. However, most of us who turn for pleasure use our lathes for things like bowls, vessels and platters which have different size characteristics than spindles.

There is a tool rest base made by Delta available separately. Packard Woodworks, Craft Supplies and others sell it. You may be able to use it with your lathe as long as your rests have a 1" post or you're willing to aquire different rests if they are a different size.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Dale, I've thought of something like that, but it is the extension that keeps breaking. The toolrest itself is fine. The extension has to be built with an offset so the toolrest is not up too high. You almost have to see it, but the extension fits into the toolrest body as the toolrest normally does and then the toolrest fits into the other end of the extension. A gouge can actually be shaving wood 15" from where the extension goes into the toolrest body. The extension does need to be steel, but it would have to be milled for the offset and that could cost what an after market toolrest body would, I think. But I'll check it out.
    Thanks again, Ernie

Jim, you are right about the spindle thing. Roughing out the bottom of a 12" plater with a bowl gouge bogged the motor as I approached the edge. I should have checked things out more thoroughly before I purchased it.
    I'm going to look into the Delta tool rest base.
    Thanks for the info, Ernie