Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "Which laser to buy" post

Another "Which laser to buy" post

Hey all,
    I am a new member here and this post will be a little different then the others. I was in business with a friend and we purchased an Epliog Mini 18 and used that so I am familiar with how to use it. We have since moved our separate ways (on good terms), but I am looking to get back into etching. I currently have up to about $15k to play with as far as an etcher. I of course if possible don't want to use the full amount so I can buy supplies, software, etc. What machines are you guys recommending these days? I am pretty tech savvy.

Topher,
    There are NUMEROUS posts addressing that topic, if you scan through the previous posts you will find at least 3 or 4 in the previous 3 pages. Nothing has changed, all of their answers are still valid.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Topher,
    There are NUMEROUS posts addressing that topic, if you scan through the previous posts you will find at least 3 or 4 in the previous 3 pages. Nothing has changed, all of their answers are still valid.

Gary
    Yep, I have been reading through them for a couple hours now. Still just kind of mind melted I guess. To much information.

My suggestion would be to look at a Chinese machine from Shenhui like I did. You can buy an 80W (RECI tube) machine with bed size of 900mm x 600mm for about $5K delivered to your door step. I had no experience in laser cutting/engraving and I went with the Chinese option because
    a) I could not afford to spend more than $5K
    b) I could not justify spending 4-5 times on a "mainstream" machine
    c) $5K on a Chinese machine was an acceptable risk for me
    d) buying a chinese machine allows me to spend money on marketing, product development etc
    e) I selected Shenhui based on the experiences on people like Rodne, George, Rich
    f) finally, I am really happy that I went this route.

Regards
    Khalid
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

It's quite simple. Buy the one that best fits your needs and budget

See how easy that was?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Khalid,
    Thanks for this information! Could you link me to the one you got? I am looking for etching with some cutting of baltic birch.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Nazim View Post
    My suggestion would be to look at a Chinese machine from Shenhui like I did. You can buy an 80W (RECI tube) machine with bed size of 900mm x 600mm for about $5K delivered to your door step. I had no experience in laser cutting/engraving and I went with the Chinese option because
    a) I could not afford to spend more than $5K
    b) I could not justify spending 4-5 times on a "mainstream" machine
    c) $5K on a Chinese machine was an acceptable risk for me
    d) buying a chinese machine allows me to spend money on marketing, product development etc
    e) I selected Shenhui based on the experiences on people like Rodne, George, Rich
    f) finally, I am really happy that I went this route.

Regards
    Khalid

yulp. I was thinking more so about software. Like I noticed Rayjet comes with some impressive software. The Chinese models lack in this though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    It's quite simple. Buy the one that best fits your needs and budget

See how easy that was?

The first step is to contact each laser company and get price quotes. After that, get a demo. After that, contact some people on here for their opinions.

Once you narrow things down, start pinning the reps against each other to get the best deal possible.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I like how you think! That is a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    The first step is to contact each laser company and get price quotes. After that, get a demo. After that, contact some people on here for their opinions.

Once you narrow things down, start pinning the reps against each other to get the best deal possible.

There is no way anyone can tell you what machine to buy from a "what should I buy" question. In order to HELP (not tell you what to buy), we'd have to know so much more about your business.

1) What do you plan to do with it?
    2) How many hours a day will it run?
    3) Will you be vector cutting primarily, engraving primarily, or 50/50?
    4) What products will you using mostly? Engraving plastics? Baltic Birch plywood?
    5) Do you have products you will make or will this be a "job shop"?
    6) many many more questions.....

Without more information, no one can recommend anything to you, unless it's just their opinion based on their own model. I wouldn't like to base my business on what someone else does for themselves with their model. Their model might be VERY different than my model.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

1) What do you plan to do with it? Mainly it will be etching mugs and glassware, but also vector cutting of wood (plywood or baltic *templates from LaserBuzz*) and engraving on Granite.
    2) How many hours a day will it run? 2-3, depends on orders, with my old one I would use it up to 8 hours some times, just depending on how many orders I had.
    3) Will you be vector cutting primarily, engraving primarily, or 50/50? 50/50
    4) What products will you using mostly? Engraving plastics? Baltic Birch plywood? Engraving Glass, Etching Granite, and some vector cutting of wood.
    5) Do you have products you will make or will this be a "job shop"? Job shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    There is no way anyone can tell you what machine to buy from a "what should I buy" question. In order to HELP (not tell you what to buy), we'd have to know so much more about your business.

1) What do you plan to do with it?
    2) How many hours a day will it run?
    3) Will you be vector cutting primarily, engraving primarily, or 50/50?
    4) What products will you using mostly? Engraving plastics? Baltic Birch plywood?
    5) Do you have products you will make or will this be a "job shop"?
    6) many many more questions.....

Without more information, no one can recommend anything to you, unless it's just their opinion based on their own model. I wouldn't like to base my business on what someone else does for themselves with their model. Their model might be VERY different than my model.

You need 2 machines , a low powered *25-30w* small/medium sized uberfast mainstream with a useable rotary for the granite and glass and a large format 80+w cheapy chinese machine for the cutting. You can get away with $15k for both *new machines* with a bit of a pinch.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Are you mechanically inclined? Are you willing to spend some of your time tuning the machine for best performance? If the answer is "no" then forget about the Chinese machines.

If "yes" then you can spend some of your own time on the machine and save many thousands of dollars.

The workmanship on a Chinese machine is not going to be as good as a mainstream. Fortunately, lasers are pretty darn simple machines. If you understand how they work, you can make up for the workmanship yourself.

I bought my machine knowing full well that it would not meet my standards until I put some of my own time into it.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I did all the maintenance on the old Epilog, so I am pretty familiar and inclined. The machines you worked on... are those the Shenhui's?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Are you mechanically inclined? Are you willing to spend some of your time tuning the machine for best performance? If the answer is "no" then forget about the Chinese machines.

If "yes" then you can spend some of your own time on the machine and save many thousands of dollars.

The workmanship on a Chinese machine is not going to be as good as a mainstream. Fortunately, lasers are pretty darn simple machines. If you understand how they work, you can make up for the workmanship yourself.

I bought my machine knowing full well that it would not meet my standards until I put some of my own time into it.

So you don't think one machine doing both is a good idea?

The cutting of the wood will be rare... maybe once a month for 30 minutes.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    You need 2 machines , a low powered *25-30w* small/medium sized uberfast mainstream with a useable rotary for the granite and glass and a large format 80+w cheapy chinese machine for the cutting. You can get away with $15k for both *new machines* with a bit of a pinch.