Thread: RIKON Model 70-450 20 x 37 Woodfast Lathe EVS

RIKON Model 70-450 20 x 37 Woodfast Lathe EVS

What are your thoughts on this lathe?

http://www.toolcenter.com/70-450.html
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Rikon makes some good tools but that is the first I knew they made a large lathe. The little ones seem to be OK. It must be a new one on the market. You might check on parts and servicing in your area. Maybe others know more

They have had the 70-500 out for a little while now, which is a 20" lathe, but one that rings up at about $3000. Now it looks like they have both a 70-425 and the 70-450 out, both 20x37 lathes with a 1.5HP motor, a headstock that swivels 90 degrees, and an optional outboard toolrest. The only difference I am seeing between the two at first glance is that the 70-450 is 220V only and $400 more. On the other hand, no sliding headstock and a smaller motor than the more expensive mustard monster.

Still, with 20" lathes available in the $2100-$2500 price range, they may make some serious traction in the market.

Woodfast lathes made in Australia were top quality for years, and I still frequently turn on my 409 shortbed. But I haven't used any new models since being purchased by Rikon, so don't know if the quality has been maintained.

Rikon bought the rights to the old Woodfast lathes and then moved production to Asia. The Rikon 70-500 is essentially is the Asian copy of the original Woodfast lathes that were very highly regarded. The model you are showing looks like a morphed 70-500. The bedcasting looks the same and the banjo and the tailstock with a different headstock that swivels and slides. I know that these are also sold in England under the Record label as well. I am sure they are pretty good lathes but until I used or inspected one I might hold judgement till that time.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Stephen View Post
    They have had the 70-500 out for a little while now, which is a 20" lathe, but one that rings up at about $3000. Now it looks like they have both a 70-425 and the 70-450 out, both 20x37 lathes with a 1.5HP motor, a headstock that swivels 90 degrees, and an optional outboard toolrest. The only difference I am seeing between the two at first glance is that the 70-450 is 220V only and $400 more. On the other hand, no sliding headstock and a smaller motor than the more expensive mustard monster.

Still, with 20" lathes available in the $2100-$2500 price range, they may make some serious traction in the market.
    It has a swivel head stock, VFD & 6 step pulley system which will help with torque. I think the pulleys make the 2 HP motor like PM a moot point. The head only swivels it doesn't slide.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-02-2012 at 4:27 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I have seem one up close at Woodcraft. Alot of cast iron, looks like a good lathe for the $$$'s !
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

A good turner needs a good lathe. Me, I use a big HF one that's never let me down. But I'm not a good turner...

There was a review of this lathe in the UK mag, "Woodturning" 1-2 years ago. It was most favorable.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

One of the guys in our turning club has owned a 20" Ricon for a number of years and he said it was the nicest big lathe for the price.He does a lot of large turnings and it has held up well.He also has a Ricon bandsaw that he was not happy with untill he made some changes.I noticed that he sells very few large items but coninues to turn them out.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!