Thread: My Decked Out Ridgid Model R4511 Table Saw

My Decked Out Ridgid Model R4511 Table Saw

DOS-1w.jpg
    This project involved making the following changes and modifications to my Ridgid Model R4511 Table Saw to make it better fit the constraints of my small shop and my personal preferences.

• Improved Mobile Base
    • Internal Baffling
    • Improved Dust Collection
    • On-Board Storage
    • Rear Extension Table
    • Downdraft Side Extension Table
    • Upgraded Rip Fence to Delta Unifence
    • Relocated Front Tilt Handwheel
    • Digital Tilt Angle Indicator
    • Zero Clearance Inserts
    • Upgraded Miter Gage
    • Upgraded Power Switch
    • Conversion to 240VAC Input

These improvements made a great saw even greater, and an absolute joy to use! And No, it's not for sale!

These modifications, with many photos, are described in detail here: http://lumberjocks.com/paulnwa/blog/series/4631 Please visit for more information and maybe some ideas you could use or modify to make your woodworking experience better.

Some of the ideas and materials used were based upon the great discussions and projects previously offered here on the this forum and others. Thanks to those who so freely contributed their ideas.

This project was part of a narrated slide presentation given December 8, 2011, to the Northwest Woodworkers Guild, of Seattle, WA, of which I am an active member.

Any comments and constructive criticisms are welcomed. I will answer any questions you might have.

That's an outstanding improvement equipment ...

Absolutely NO criticisms, outstanding job!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Thanks, Tru. I appreciate your comment.

Thanks, Jeff. I hope the ideas presented will be helpful to other folks.

That's outstanding Paul! Hope you put a nice blade on it too!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I didn't see "polish top to mirror finish" on your list.

Looks good. What did you do for the internal baffling?

Matt

Hi Scott,
    I took your recommendations over on the LJ forum and invested in several of the Onsrud blades. I haven't had an opportunity to use them yet, but will soon. I was very impressed with the quality of the blades and the thick carbide tips! Thanks for pointing them out. I also have a couple of Freud blades and some others. Thanks for the kind comment.
    Last edited by Paul Stoops; 01-02-2012 at 1:08 PM.

Hi Matt,

Thanks. No, I didn't polish the top -- the granite came that way, but I did give it a coat of Johnson's Paste wax. Please take a look at the blog I referenced in this post. It has a discussion with pics of the internal baffling I added to the saw.

OK! When are ya gonna come to Mississippi to trick out my Grizz 0444Z?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Hmmmm, Bill, looks like that is a pretty skookum saw like it is. Does it really need tricking out??

A Thank You to Alan Schaffter

Thanks, Alan for posting your idea of using an angle cube for a built in tilt angle indicator. I used your idea on my mods described in this post. Works great! Thanks for the great idea.

You seem more the engineer type than woodworking type. Impressive modifications. I wish I would have snatched up one of the R4511's before they disappeared from the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew W. Thomas View Post
    You seem more the engineer type than woodworking type. Impressive modifications. I wish I would have snatched up one of the R4511's before they disappeared from the stores.
    Don't feel bad. I had two of them, and sold them both. The table is quite a bit smaller than the TS3660 it replaced, and the stock fence rail has a big old lump in it, as it is two piece. Paul seems to have overcome those issues, but I just didn't get on with mine.

Good Job Paul!

Andrew --
    That is an interesting observation you made about me. Yes, I am a retired engineer, currently putting together a new shop with equipment to do woodworking. Did it occur to you that most of those modifications discussed above were woodworking projects made for my woodworking equipment and from wood?
    Last edited by Paul Stoops; 01-02-2012 at 10:33 PM.