Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheaper 12" miter saw on sale? or wait for lighter 7.5" to go on sale?

Deuce,

I just sold my Ridgid 12" (nice saw BTW) and bought the Makita 10". I sold it for the exact same concerns you have - too big. In my case I had a problem mounting the beast in a built in miter saw station. However, I would never have entertained the idea of bringing it up and down stairs.

The Makita is much lighter, and unless you are planning on doing a ton of huge crown molding or baseboard, the smaller saw will be just fine.

As far as a stand goes, check out the Ryobi one at HD. It is $99 and plenty sturdy enough for the 7.5" Makita.

Both of those look similar to my Delta and the cost is about the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Lee View Post
    Hey Bill, check this out...after looking more at the cheaper saws stands, looks like this Oasis BST07 is VERY similar to the DeWalt DWX723 at half the price...

This Denali seems decent too...and 90 bucks

Well, i'm going to give this some more thought...i'm on the fence right now but i'll evaluate everything and dig down deep to see what will really make me happy

I bought the Hitachi C12RSH about a month ago at the $399 sale price. I wish I had the 10% off coupon you hold. It replaced a Ridgid 12" non-slider compound miter saw. I mounted it on my older Ridgid MSUV, an awesome stand in my humble opinion. This saw is a load compared to the older Ridgid, but I don't carry it around. I like it for its features, including the adjustable laser and the slider system. I am very happy with my purchase. Buy what you like.

I've also always liked this stand but have never seen one in person. Now I see it looks like it might be discontinued though. http://www.toolking.com/milwaukee-48...ter-saw-stand/ One of my big problems is the brackets to mount things on the Dewalt stand are usually 50 bucks which seems a bit steep.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 01-01-2012 at 8:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    70 lbs is alot to be hauling around, particularly up and down stairs. I do a lot of remodeling work and decided on the Hitachi C10FSH for a job site finish saw. It's 43 lbs and has the same max x-cut capacity (12.25") as the Hitachi 12". I've never regretted the purchase.

There are lots of budget stands out there, just make sure what you get is sturdy/stable and has solid stock support and well engineered stops. We have the TracRac T3 Professional. It's expensive (>$200) and weighs 50 lbs, but it has wheels and I can roll the collapsed stand w/the saw attached....very cool.

Scott,

I agree with the poster that suggested buying a saw that will do that last 5%.....you'll kick yourself if you don't.

Good luck
    a 10" saw like your hitachi looks like a good option as well...it's 14 more lbs but since it's only $50 more then the makita, i'd def worth a look since it can cut deeper if needed...

well, right now i'm thinking no to the hitachi 12". 66lbs of actual weight is going to be a pain to haul around and will take more space then i'd like...it was a great deal and a entertaining idea but i think i'll do what Keith mentioned and look for a decent deal to nudge me over the edge for the makita...

i'm going to go with the Oasis Machinery stand. Probably a 4 footer since that'll fit right into the trunk of my car.

I have a Craftsmen 7 1/2 inch sliding miter saw and love it. It is light weight and enough power to cut what I need. Very easy to move around as it is aluminum.