Thread: Ebony and Holly Bangle

Ebony and Holly Bangle

Ebony Bangle with Holly Dots.

I really enjoy doing these "dots" bangles, and I wish the photo did the Ebony justice. This one was a xmas present for my mom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

John, that is some very nice "fitting" with those holly dots - tight! Really a striking pattern, and I bet Mom loved it!

I am curious - did you have any difficulty with ebony sanding dust contaminating the holly?

I love it and I bet mom did to. Same question as John sanding ebony with holly how did you keep the dust from contaminating the holly.
    That is a beautiful piece.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Lovely! I'd be hard pressed to think of a more striking wood combination.

Beautiful. I bet you'll be getting all kinds of requests for these once your moms friends see it.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

The picture looks like the inside is unfinished. If so, is there a particular reason?

I noticed this on WOW forum last night, it struck me then, and it strikes me now. Very clean and classic.

I saw how to do those "dots" somewhere, but I forget how...

Mind giving us a refresher?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Thanks for all the replies,

Working with the Ebony and Holly turned out better then I hoped. I got the surface as good as I could with tools, finishing with very light sheer scraping. Then did a first pass with sandpaper around 180. Blew that out with a compressor, then put sanding sealer and sanded with 220 & 320, then more sanding sealer and 400 & 600 and micromesh 1500-12000. (The sanding sealer, helps seal the Holly to protect the Ebony contamination) Lastly I finished with CA and repeated the micromesh and buffed.

Andrew, the inside is definitely finished although not polished to the degree the outside is. Not sure why it looks that way in the photo. I wish I had been more careful with the photo because the finish really is flawless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

John

Very nice piece. Very timely also about the use of sanding sealer because I am about to takle a ebony and holly pen and will encountering the same sanding situations. Thanks for the info and showing your work.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    That is just beautiful!!! i never thought of doing something like that. Well done John. I may have to give that a try one of these days.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Now that is just beautiful John! I have not doubt you'll be getting some requests for more just like it!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Another great piece, John! And thanks for sharing the finishing process.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.