Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Table/Hybrid/Cabinet Saw Recommendation Help

First Table/Hybrid/Cabinet Saw Recommendation Help

First, I'm sure there are plenty of similar threads, but this one is mine. Anyway...

By the end of January (2012) we will have finally moved out of our starter home and my teeny-tiny bench, into our “family” house… with a dedicated entire room (with easy access) for my wood shop (sweet). I have never had the room for a table/hybrid/cabinet saw, but now I will, and better yet, my wife has given me the go-ahead to find the one for me… on a reasonable budget

Now I’ve been reading forums for over a year to figure out the saw for me, but, honestly, you people have me completely frustrated. Some of you say a table-saw is fine, while others say I will be frustrated and wish I had a cabinet saw. Then there are the hybrids, which some of you are fine with, while others are not. Not to mention the multitude of you who apparently have ready access to dozens of used saws that are just seemingly lying around to be snatched up for a steal at the local corner estate sale.

So I’m asking… nay, begging. Help me find my saw.

Here are a few of my needs, and please take them into consideration should you decide to respond:

Budget = less than $1200 (max)
    Use = hopefully often
    Type of projects = furniture (in general) using all types of wood
    My skill level = hobbyist now, but I do like to put out good quality stuff and I plan on this being a developing and expanding love

Thank you for all your kind and encouraging words… in advance.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-29-2011 at 2:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...Series-/G0715P Leaves you money for a good blade

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the G0715P was actually at the top of my list, until I started reading about the headaches everyone was having, and there seemed to be quite a few people who returned them. Do you have any experience with, or know anyone with direct experience with this saw?

Jeff, I would suggest that a fairly new cabinet saw could be purchased for somewhere in the price range you're looking at. Patience seems to be a requirement when waiting for used equipment.

In cabinet saws I have a preference for General, however a nice Unisaw would be great as well.

I wouldn't bother with a contractor saw, they take up more room than a cabinet saw, and are no way near as good.

Regards, Rod.

First ask in the General Woodworking an Power Tools section and you will get a lot more responses.

The G0715P is as good as you will do if your budget is hard, I would suggest considering the extra $100 over budget to get the G1023, a lot more saw. The only other solid option would be used, which is a whole other can of worms that you may or may not want to open. If you do look used the General saws Rod mentions are indeed good but they are going to be much more rare in the US (they are Canadian) than Delta Unisaws and Powermatic 66. Those are available in your price range but you have to be patient and be comfortable buying used machines.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I agree that your budget was realistic a couple years ago but, prices have gone up. I spent $100 on a Sears Contractor saw and then spent another hundred or so getting it usable. This lasted me for quite awhile bit, cam with the frustrations that a contractor style configuration comes with. My point is I would not spend $1000 or so and get something that will be an 'almost' saw. I would wait and add a couple hundred more to the kitty and then get a 3HP cabinet saw. If you cannot wait or the budget cannot be added to over time for some political reason or would just be a threat to household bliss, I would buy a very cheap used contractor saw and wait for the mind-set to turn as furnishings start to fill the new abode. For the record, I just barely held off getting a cabinet saw recently but, I was lucky enough to get one of the early Orion/Craftsman zipcode saws and I cannot find anything that it cannot do. I wanted more power for the same reason we all want more power in certain tools (argh, argh, argh). If not for a good deal on the 22124 I would be running 'something else' and would have gone ahead with the upgrade. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    First ask in the General Woodworking an Power Tools section and you will get a lot more responses.

The G0715P is as good as you will do if your budget is hard, I would suggest considering the extra $100 over budget to get the G1023, a lot more saw. The only other solid option would be used, which is a whole other can of worms that you may or may not want to open. If you do look used the General saws Rod mentions are indeed good but they are going to be much more rare in the US (they are Canadian) than Delta Unisaws and Powermatic 66. Those are available in your price range but you have to be patient and be comfortable buying used machines.
    I agree. With a little more money you'll get a lot more saw. I have one in the 1023 family and love it.

A good hybrid is plenty capable of good hobby work if it's setup well and fitted with a good blade, but if you've got 220v, a 3hp cabinet saw is simply a significantly more substantial saw. Something like the Grizzly G1023RL isn't that much more than a good hybrid, but you definitely get a lot more. Depending on what you end up spending, sometimes it just makes sense to spend a smidge more a get a lifetime saw that'll never flinch. Every mechanical and user advantage goes to the 3hp cabinet saw.

Below are the guts from the former Grizzly G0478 hybrid, which has pretty typical underpinnings for a hybrid:

Here's a look at the guts of the G1023RL:

If you don't have 220v, or decide you shouldn't spend the extras, no worries...a hybrid will do well.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-29-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I'd say much depends on your approach to things in general.

For example, you could get a fabulous 3 or 5hp Powermatic 66 or Delta Unisaw for maybe $600-900. However, it won't have a riving knife, and might have a few scratches and dings. It'll also require 240V, which you may not have in your new shop. On the positive side, it will plough through thick hardwood with the least difficulty and will likely outlast you. It's also effectively free to use. You will get back what you paid for it in years to come.

How big is the new shop? Most cabinet saws have a smaller footprint than the equivalent sized contractor saw because the guts aren't hanging out the back of it.

You could also buy a new decent hybrid, but you'll lose money on it if you choose to upgrade it in the future.

One more thing: if you buy a used cabinet saw, spend a few $ on electrics if you need them, and get a decent blade for it, and maybe a mobile base, you'll STILL have money left over to get a nice present for your wife being such a good sport. I'm completely blessed that my wife lets me devote as much time & money to my shop as she does. I speak from experience when I say you're a lucky man!

I would suggest CL, ebay listings near you, other auction sites, sunday paper, just google or bing whatever your preference is ( mine is old iron, PM 66, Delta Uni ) better quality of materials and probably workmanship as well IMHO. If you are not bothered by driving 150 or 200 miles you may just find a piece of jewelry that only needs power. If you pick one up for under $700 you may need to do some detailing, bearings, maybe a motor, belts, but anything over $800 - $850 everything should work, three phase is generally cheaper, and most you find used will have some sort of a T- Square fence, it to may need a little dressing up. Under $500 and you will need to do a refurb to some extent, but either of these 2 saws should keep you under budget, and these saws (American Made) are solid machines that will outlast you and me with moderate care.

I have the G0715P and while researching the saw I did not find that many that disliked it. The only problems I remember addressed the most was fence adjustment. My saw was square right out of the box and the fence took very little adjustment to get it right on. I have had the saw about 6 months and everything is still adjusted. For the woodworking I do (hobby) this saw has been great and will last my lifetime. It has more power than I have ever needed and is quite and smooth. Look at lumberjocks reviews if you have not read them already. http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/product/1782 I have been very pleased with the saw and Grizzly customer service is excellent! If you are thinking about a Grizzly though, they are having a price increase on most of there stuff starting 1/1. Look at some of the other threads for more info.

I scanned the Kansas City, Mo Craigslist and saw (pun intended) a pretty good selection including what sounded like a big 3 phase delta with a phase converter for around $600. I'd dig through your local CL areas for a couple of weeks and see what you find.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 12-30-2011 at 5:18 PM. Reason: typo

Jeff

I'm going to confuse even more. There is no "best saw". There are plenty of nice ones, and a few stinkers, but at the end of the day it's the individual that has to decide.
    I can afford any saw I want, but what I have are an older Jet Contractor saw, and a 2hp General Hybrid saw. I do however have quality fences, a JessEm Master slide, Incra miters ,and all high quality blades. In other words, I chose to focus on the things that make the wood come off the saw square, straight, true, and less on the size of the motor. The Jet is kind of stinker. It's too light and vibrates, but it will perform perfectly fine with a little finessing.
    I've seen fabulous furniture made with 70's vintage Craftsman direct drive saws, real stinkers, and I have friends with big cabinet saws that couldn't cut a board square if they had all day and were paid to do it. The actual saw itself is just the foundation.
    You have to be honest with what you intend to do. I will never rip 3" thick hard maple boards all day long. I will rip the occasional 2" thick tropical hardwoods, but mostly I work with 4/4 tropical hardwoods and plywood. For my use, my saws have enough power.

You are looking for recommendations though. Mine would be the Griz' 1023, or G0690 if buying new. The weight of these saws on a solid foundation will transmit very minimal vibration to the table top. As long as they function properly, you will have a saw that will meet your needs.
    I own no Grizzly equipment, so this is hopefully an unbiased opinion.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-30-2011 at 9:12 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

All the furniture in my home was made with either a contractors saw or a radial arm saw.

cm

There are plenty of good options out there, I would take a look at the Steel City hybrid saw as I have some of their other tools and really like the quality, The Grizzly hybrid saw might be a good choice since you are not to far from their store (3 hours?) I had a neighbor who had the Grizzly 1023 and he built really nice furniture for his house, and made some money in his spare time. If I had the ability to put in 220 volt where I'm at I would have saved up my $ to get one. I am just a hobbiest with higher ambitions right now my Jet Supersaw (now Jet Proshop) meets my needs with 1 3/4 hp. I would look for a hybrid only if you are in the same shoes as I am and limited to 110 volt. The things I would look for in a hybrid are a closed cabinet for dust collection, a motor located inside the saw as opposed to hanging off the back, cast iron solid wings, and if the saw is new, a riving knife. A Decent used cabinet saw would also be nice if you do have 220 I would look on craigslist for a left tilt, 3hp, Powermatic or Delta for no more than $700 in good working condition.

Having more tools than I know how to use - Priceless!!!