Thread: Hello

Hello

I've been a member of SMC for just a little while, but never officially said howdy, so howdy.
    I've had a lathe for a couple of months now and the rest of my tools are covered in wood chips from it. It seems that I am turning everything I can get my hands on around the house... bushes, tree limbs, a small elm tree that spalted after cutting it down last year. The cat scratched me when I tried chuckn em up... I was just going to trim some hair. The last thing I did though was not a good idea. Not for the breathing equipment or clothing I had on anyway. I have this 25 year old cross tie you see, that I cut a chunk off of and mounted it. It was actually coming out kind of nice. Some of the yellow pine didn't take the creosote and it looked like sprays of sunshine coming through black clouds. However, heating it up with the tools caused the fumes to come alive so I quit. It was a little later that the creosote chips started burning the top of my head.
    So what have I learned from all of this... scissors work better on cats.
    So anyway, now you know a little bit about what you are dealing with when I ask a question.
    Hello again, Ernie

Welcome to the spinny world- Nice forum and great guys!
    Jerry

Ernie,

Sounds like you are well into this fun hobby! It is amazing how all products start to turn into turned products
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Hi Ernie -

Welcome. Great story. Did the hot creosote do any real damage. I wonder about cats n creosote?

Ted

Hello Ernie,

Welcome aboard!!
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

Ernie:

Hey. You have a great name!
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

I like you already.

BTW, Nair is the best for cats. Breaks them from that licking habit too.

Thanks all for the welcome. It's a great forum for information, and the work you people put out is amazing.

No, the creosote didn't do any real damage, it just stung as I knew it would from previous experience of stringing fence. But it was there, I saw a bowl, and couldn't hep mysef.

Ernie Hobbs, you got a pretty good name yourself. Any kin in baseball at one time?

Thanks again, Ernie Nyvall

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Ernie, Cats are OK but we draw the line at dogs and neighbor kids .

You can get in a lot of trouble .
    Welcome and post some of your spun cat work.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Well, I can't find the cat to take pictures. I have about fifty small bowls and plates in bags right now and the only thing I have finished is this platter for holding a bowl of flowers for SWMBO Valentine. I screwed up with the finish when I spilled some stain on the maple and then went ahad and stained it all. Oh yea, I did do a few bottle stoppers for friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work

Be nice to the cat.. they have a way of getting back at you when your asleep

Dawn

Ernie,

Welcome. Always good to add woodturners.

-Steve

I suppose if a cat cooperated, you could turn off enough of the excess bits, that it could jump through a knothole in a fence.