Thread: A Frustrating Project

A Frustrating Project

I turned an urn for my wife to put her Orchid in. Being from the Philippines, Orchids remind her of home. Since the take very little water I thought a wooden urn would good bribery material. The wood I used was maple and had some beautiful heart wood. I used what was left of the log from the urn to make a small hollow form. On this project I did the entire outside shaping with my skew. Hence the frustration. Once I kind of figured it out, the finished surface was probably at 300 grit. I started hollowing the inside leaving it between 1/8" ish. Some how, even with an 1/8" of wood, I still broke through the side some how. The heart wood is beautiful. I also picked up some Antique Oil from the local Ace and put some on to see how it looks. Thanks for looking.

Failure.jpg
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nate, I was cutting up a large piece of maple today and some of the heart looked in many ways, like yours. The defects were more apparent in what I was working with, so I would guess it wasn't as intact as you thought and having some of the side disappear was unavoidable.

The form looks great. I am guessing that the wood moved a little after you turned the outside which did not help things at all with the thin walls that you were going for.

Dude...if that thing is over 2" in diameter...lose the skew!! Bowl or spindle gouge are fine for this. Skew is all I use on a pen or brush, but much over 2" and I get outa Dodge! I have an 1.5" skew and it's happy at about 2". When it comes to a skew, the bigger the wood, the bigger the failure!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago with a really nicely figured piece of walnut, which turned a sw style hollow form into more of a bowl. I have problems visualizing where the cutter is, and where to set the laser when hollowing the top portion of a form. Mine wasn't a wood failure though - definitely an operator failure. The cutter makes some interesting sounds just as it is about to materialize from inside the piece, at which point of course it's too late.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome