Thread: I'm ready to get back to woodworking

Thumbs up I'm ready to get back to woodworking

I know I was never a recognized name here, just posted a few projects and commented on many of your incredible creations. Just wanted to say I am ready to fire up the power equipment for the first time since having a stroke on the 27th of May this year. I was 42 at the time, doctors found a hole in my heart which they think led to a clot passing from my heart directly to my brain instead of going to lungs first. This is fairly common.

I had been paralized on right side, no speach or vision in my right eye. I was a very scary time for my family, I was just laying there thinking how I ruined their lives, if I lived and remained paralized and speachless. Well luckily I recovered very quickly, and am near 100%, as good as I will ever be. But for some reason I haven't been able to walk up and turn on the table saw or other equipment. I'm okay physically but there has been just something in my head not allowing me to do it.

Well, I came back here today for the first time in a long time, I think I'm ready. I need to create something for my 3 girls, I'm looking into jewelry boxes or armoires, maybe a wall hanging jewelry box, something incredible. Any suggestions or plans would be great, looking for intricate joinery at least to the people that don't know how easy it can be. I will use woods like curly maple and walnut, Koa, you know all the cool contrasting stuff!

One of the last tools I bought (pre-stroke) after PM'ing some of you including ( I think) Bill Wycko (his humidors inspire me) was an incra jig and everything to go with it, I made a few simple box joints with it but really want to rock a few pieces for the girls and wife, possibly before I can't do it again, you never know.

Anyway I'm back! Hopefully I can show you all some nice pieces, in the past it has been mostly full kitchens and more large items, now it's time to play around! I will try to make some e-freinds along the way.

I see my donation/membership has lapsed, I'll get on that too!

Blog Entries
    Welcome back Rob,

Hope everything continues to go well for you. Now get in that shop and make some sawdust.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Sorry to hear about your issues, but glad to see you back and doing well. Looking forward to seeing your new projects!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Congrats on the recovery. A major news anchor here locally had the same thing happen. He had a stroke attributed to a heart problem. He recovered pretty quickly and had a procedure to repair his heart.

Rob, I'm glad you made it back and are doing well. I look forward to seeing your work again!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Welcome back, Good luck w/ your recovery.
    Mac

Welcome back Rob!

Welcome back Rob! Sorry to hear about your health issues but glad to see you are overcoming them!

One step at a time.....go get 'em!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Welcome back and congratulations on the recovery. I was out of the shop for a long time at one point for different reasons and when I was ready to start back, I found I had a fear of using the tools for some reason. I was told to just go make random cuts with scraps on some of the tools and route a few scraps. It helped me feel comfortable pretty quick.

Welcome back and good luck.

If you are concerned about using power tools, this may be a good time to pick up hand tool skills.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Welcome back Rob. Hope things go well for you.

PHM