Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banded Walnut Vessel

Banded Walnut Vessel

I rushed to get this one done for submission with my application to the Artisan Center. It will probably get another coat of WOP or two, and rebuffed. Finishing to this point started with shellac, then some lacquer, then WOP satin - buffed to a soft sheen.

Black walnut with recessed maple accent rings, dimensions are 5.5" wide x 5" tall. Hollowed to a bit over 1/8" as I wanted this one to have a little heavier feel to it.

The pyro work is the same as on the previous turquoise piece. I was careful to align the grain on the walnut as it was glued up, but strangely, just the slight difference in thickness of the maple ring and the amount of walnut removed to offset, produced what appears to be a misalignment at only one point on the form - weird! It looks fine everywhere else.

I know a lot of you don't like these rims, but I just have to get this worked out of my system - I kind of like them! All comments are welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (104.0 KB, 246 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (106.5 KB, 209 views)

2. I think this one works very well, John.............the maple rings compliment the darker form and do not compete for the beauty or flow of the piece................good pyro design on the accent rings.

While this kind of form is classic pottery, it should be regarded well by the folks at the artisans center because it is readily recognizable as a classic form. You have done well!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-28-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Love the color variations John. The form is great and now resides in my "Favorite turnings" folder. The burning in the Maple rings sure gives it a life of its own.

A very nice piece, I like the rim. The form looks great as does the wood.

John that is a fine looking piece. I'm no art critic but I like what I see.
    Fred

Beautiful piece John. Love the embellishments and the contrasting wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It's a beauty John!! But it just seems...plain I guess. You have that dramatic punch usually and this one, for me anyway, doesn't have that. Technically, it was a bit tough I'd imagine. Your experiance with multiple layers really shows! Finish is as always, flawless!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I like this form and treatment. At what point in the process do you glue on the maple?

John,

That is a wonderful piece I really like the embellishment. I was just getting ready to start on a piece of very similar shape. Very well done.

Alan

Great piece all the way around.

That came out great. I also like the photo alot, the soft shadow seams to highlights the piece to me. Your rim "experiment/series" gets a 2 out of 3 from me... this and the turquoise one look great, the other one just seamed alittle out of place. Good luck with your submissions.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

John - I think you've created a great piece here! I really like the contrasting woods and it appears you are getting the Pyro thing down too.

Nice work, MIke

Thanks, guys! I am heading over to Berea after lunch to deliver my application, so we will see if these later works are more to their liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    It's a beauty John!! But it just seems...plain I guess. You have that dramatic punch usually and this one, for me anyway, doesn't have that. Technically, it was a bit tough I'd imagine. Your experiance with multiple layers really shows! Finish is as always, flawless!
    Jim, apparently "drama" isn't exactly what the Artisan Center is after. I didn't think I would enjoy this type of work, but it is relatively simple to do, and I am hopeful that it appeals to the Center. They sold some of my bowls, and if I can get my foot in the door, perhaps I can convince them to take some of the more artsy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    I like this form and treatment. At what point in the process do you glue on the maple?
    Steve, I first glued a waste tenon on the walnut, faced off the top and glued on another waste block/tenon. Then I parted off the top (with the waste tenon) and leveled the cut face of the walnut, glued on a piece of 4/4 maple, then trimmed it down to thickness. I chucked the remaining portion of the walnut in another chuck and flattened the face, then glued it on the maple.

The above process was repeated for the other layer of maple. The top rim, of course, was glued on last.

I did establish the general form as I was going - just to get rid of some wood.

Blog Entries
    John, that is absolutely georgous. Well done my friend. Your location of the contrasting wood in relation to the total size is right on. Once again, you knock it out of the park.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Nice form and embellishments. The pyro work gives a sense of motion . You should have success in Berea.