Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova chuck ?

Nova chuck ?

Goodmorning turners,

I received money for Christmas and going to buy a new lathe ( Jet or Grizzly) full size Wanted to know what would be the best chuck to start with? I want to do small bowls and plates, I have been looking at the Nova chucks but they have about 5 or 6 of them. If you guys were to buy just one, what chuck would it be, and why? Also help me out the the jaws.

thanks again for your help
    Rich

2. For a large lathe the correct one is the SuperNova2............a G3 can be used, however, they are limited in the size turning recommended by the manufacturer. Make sure you get the correct insert..........for a lathe like the Jet 1642 evs or the Grizzly 0632 or the 0733 which is the newer version of the G0698 you will need a 1.25 x8 tpi insert. All the jaws are interchangable with the nova chucks.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

One slight corollary to Roger's post - the Power Grip jaws should not be used on the G3 - though they will fit. They are recommended only for the SN2 and the Titan.

I have four SN2 chucks, one G3, and an original Nova. I would suggest the SN2, and you might want to check the refurbished availability at Teknatool. They usually have the SN2 at a good savings.

I would recommend the SN2, especially because the jaws are interchangeable.

I'm a Baracuda guy...comes with the worm screw and 4 sets of jaws all in a nice case.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I was just checking the Teknatool USA refurb and they have the SN2 for $99. Today (Wed) only Craftsupplies has almost everything on sale (15% off), including chucks (but still more then a refurb)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Just gonna throw this out here.

I have owned an SN2 for a long time and about nine months ago picked up a Oneway Talon. I virtually never use the SN2 anymore as the Talon is, in my opinion, a much better chuck out of the box in terms of ease of use and its ability to maintain a reliable grip on a project. And the regular price difference between the two is only in the neighborhood of $20.

I have Nova and Oneway chucks both, and I have never had a single problem with any of them. They all grip fine as long as you use the appropriate tenon or recess for the appropriate jaws and size of the piece. The SN2 refurb or the G3 refurb chucks are a heck of a deal when you are on a budget and either will do 99+% what you want to do.

Alan

Another vote for a Talon here, I had a Nova SN2 (sold it), a couple of Vicmarks, but always go for the OneWays, mainly for the serrated, non-dovetail jaws. Easier to turn tenons or recesses for, and they just grip better than any of the others. Oneway also has the best design for their smaller step jaws than do the other brands in my opinion.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

10. I think the correct jaws for the job is very important. The power grip Jaws on the SN2 have serrations and I find it difficult to see how any better grip could be had............I have used them with large pieces and never had one slip, although I have had two tenons break............the wood sometimes will not cooperate, but the power grip jaws are powerful and hold very well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Referencing Dan's comment on tenons/recesses being easier for the Talon, the tenon for the Nova should NOT be a dovetail - just a 90* tenon. The recess, however, should be dovetailed. Most folks feel the dovetail jaws on the Nova require a dovetailed tenon, and that is clearly not their intent per the instructions.

Ditto to what Mr. K said. I also have a reconditioned/refurbished SN2 on the way, will let all know how it is when it arrives.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I think the correct jaws for the job is very important. The power grip Jaws on the SN2 have serrations and I find it difficult to see how any better grip could be had............I have used them with large pieces and never had one slip, although I have had two tenons break............the wood sometimes will not cooperate, but the power grip jaws are powerful and hold very well.
    The standard jaws that come with each chuck are very likely one part of why I prefer the Talon. The #2 profiled jaws that come with the Talon are far superior than the smooth #2 jaws that come with the SN2 in terms of reliable grip for what most of us probably use #2 jaws for, gripping the outside of a tenon that will be partially or completely removed when the piece is finished. No doubt the Nova power jaws are quite good in the same regard, but those are an additional expense. Granted, either chuck can be purchased without jaws and the savings applied to whatever specific jaws the purchaser desires, but the default #2 jaws on the Talon are just awesome.

I also strongly prefer the tightening tool for the Talon to the SN2 and find it easier to tighten and loosen the jaws with one hand while at the same time getting a sure, centered fit on the piece. The more open design of the Talon also makes it easier to clean out and maintain and frankly it requires less maintenance for me so far. The Talon is also substantially lighter than the SN2, which is not critical but is nice. I also found fitting the threaded insert into my SN2 to be a surprisingly finicky process to get the chuck to run 100% true. I had no such troubles with the Talon, although my experience in that regard may have been an isolated one.

hey richard did you have to order an insert separately for the refurbished sn2?

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    hey richard did you have to order an insert separately for the refurbished sn2?
    Allen,

It doesn't come with one, but I already had a spare. They are 19.99 on the Nova site, plus shipping, which for my chuck, was about $8. I thought that was pretty good.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA