Thread: Wooden pen display rack

Wooden pen display rack

I'm in the process of making my own pen display rack and was wondering if there are more out there? I know there are the "Clear" plastic ones out there from the stores but I would like to create my own. Mine will be made from Walnut and Maple and should hold about 8-12 pens. This will not be a carrying case but a way to display them at shows and such. Any other pictures or designs out there to share? I've got mine in my head right now. I hope to have it made over the weekend.

I turned one right quick before my last market. It didn't sell any pens for me...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Mine is at the gallery so no pic's...but I used a piece of thin cedar bowed into two walnut blocks with a tie piece across the bottom. 1/4" holes drilled across the top and bottom.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Donny, DON'T make one like the PSI stand I got ( pennstateind.com/store/PKSTANDW.html ) . The holes aren't always big enough to hold all my pens, the clips get in the way and don't allow a pen to "bottom out", or the whole thing topples over when someone pulls a pen out. Make a "leaner", with a deep enough bottom hole that pens don't slide out. PS - check your PM's ;^}
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Busey View Post
    Donny, DON'T make one like the PSI stand I got ( pennstateind.com/store/PKSTANDW.html ) . The holes aren't always big enough to hold all my pens, the clips get in the way and don't allow a pen to "bottom out", or the whole thing topples over when someone pulls a pen out. Make a "leaner", with a deep enough bottom hole that pens don't slide out. PS - check your PM's ;^}

Steve, I checked my PM's and nothing there. Did I miss something?

Dont know if it would give a "cheesy" feel, but maybe a small mirror that spans from the base to the bottom of then first tier.
    A thin plastic mirror could be bent if your stand has an arc to it.

_
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

I have made a few over the years. Here is a couple that I have shown here before.

The first is a carasel type thing made from rosewood and yellowheart inlay.

The next one is made from rosewood and again yellowheart as an inlay. This also has a blue mirror as the backdrop. Gives a nice effect. Makes a good display for those highend pens. Maybe these will give you some inspiration.

John T.

I have used the ones from PSI, and like Steve said, "Don't make anything like that", his assessment is right on.

I don't make pens anymore, because I could not sell them. If, however, I could make pens as nice as the ones John T. makes, then I would try and make stands for them as nice as the ones he makes.

Blog Entries
    Wow, John, those are impressive stands (and the pens ain't too shabby, either).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I always used the clear plastic for shows, as I did not want a beautiful piece of wood (as those shown here) competing with the pens.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    Steve, I checked my PM's and nothing there. Did I miss something?
    Sent you one Dec 24, to see if you'd be around early this week. :^(
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Trauthwein View Post
    I always used the clear plastic for shows, as I did not want a beautiful piece of wood (as those shown here) competing with the pens.

Steve

Steve

I always thought that as well from others that said those things. Well when I started making things like this I gotten more compliments on the pens being displayed and more eyes gone to them. I have nothing to base sales on because I have not been doing this that long but I feel a beautiful pen needs a nice stand. I have a couple shown on those plastic stands and to me they look cheap and make the pen look cheap. I will show 2 ways to display them and you decide. I feel the effort to making some nice display stands works well. Here is another way I display a couple nice pens that I also use to shoot photos of. Works well on the table also if you really want to highlight a particular pen.

John T.