Thread: Storing Flute Blanks

Storing Flute Blanks

I have acquired 40 blanks I will eventually make flutes out of. They are approximately 1 1/2" square by 30" long. The moisture % when I use my cheap moisture meter from Lowes says they vary from 9% to 14%. I have then in my unheated shop now in rows of 6 with 3/4" "stickers " between them...They are strapped snug so they will not have much movement as they continue to dry.... Most of this wood has been in storage shed drying for a while, like yrs...Some of the box elder is more freshly cut but still not wet.

Should I allow them to move some? I was thinking if they dried for the most part clamped into a straight position that would be best ???

I could go ahead and use them now but dont have time to... The species are silver maple. siberian elm , american elm, black walnut, catalpa, hard maple , box elder, locust and some others...

For the most part should this be sufficient ? I know some wood will warp a little with the best care and some will be fine without the extra care. When I do use them I will bore a 3/4" or 7/8" hole down the entire length of the blank.

Those #'s are fairly dry. Strapping them down will do little IMHO...infact on the green blanks it may cause you more issues.

Ken is correct. Strapping them will merely hold in the stresses which will be released when you set them free and begin machining them. Let them move. Most of the species you mentioned are quite stable. You should probably be storing the semi dry blanks in a heated, dry area so they will finish dry and let their movement settle in. They will probably move a bit more when you drill them since you will be further relieving stresses on the interior of the blank.
    faust

Thanks guys ! I appreciate it. Thats a nice buck in your profile pic Ken !!

Thanks Mike, wish his grand daddy would show himself haha

He is probably out there. I live in NC and I had to stop for a fairly nice one while I was on the way to Walmart....He was in city limits.

I have unstrapped the blanks so they can move as they dry. This seems to be a suggestion Ive gotten from a lot of woodworkers. They need to move to relieve the stresses within. Thanks !!!