Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Burls

Cherry Burls

Got the call today that I can go in and cut every burl I can find. In this picture alone there are over 30. This section will be clear cut this spring so its open season. Sunday thats where we will be, high on the ridge picking up blanks I have cut and cutting more.

I know to cut the tree off a foot or so from the burl on each end, but how small is to small? Some of these ranged from two fists to basket ball size.

DSC_1574.jpg

Obviously the larger burls will give you more options, but the smaller ones are great for small hollowforms, boxes, ornaments, and pens. Be careful, Nate will be offering you $3 apiece for them as that's what he's accustomed to paying! If you have round two of burlapalooza, you can put me down.

In the boat with Keller...send me what is affordable...on his tab!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    In the boat with Keller...send me what is affordable...on his tab!
    Nice of you to keep it affordable on my tab... Most would not be so frugal with the funds of another!

Ahhh...but a fellow medicine brother to another!! Ok Ken...His on my tab...$10 buck worth!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Well I have to shoot a wedding kind of close to there so its not an out of the way trip. We figure the big bears are denned up so I havent been back down to hunt, I get an update every few days and am packed and ready to roll out if they call LOL!

I will surely post my haul, hopefully its a truck full and then some! The Monster is still out of reach for now so I will be sharing ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
    ...The Monster is still out of reach for now so I will be sharing ofcourse.
    If you're taking up a collection for a monster, I'm sure we could work something out!

Ken, if you end up doing a "burlpoloosa part two" I am definitely in the hand raising crowd! And if Keller has a tab.....well I will take them all!!!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Mr. Hackler, how is your paw feeling? Did you survive Christmas lifting of adult beverages?
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

You guys know I will gladly share. I am writing up Mr "Moneybags' Kellers invoice now haha

I thought $3 was a very reasonable price for those ugly old burls. I'll take mine on the good Dr. tab too
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Ken,
    I would be happy to contribute to your Monster Fund. If the timing is right I might even stop by while heading south in January.
    faust

I couldnt take any money for these, they arent costing me anything but some time and gas/oil. If I had to pay to harvest them I intern would pass it on. Faust, you are more then welcome to come by. Ive been getting calls almost daily about wood so I hope to start building a health supply. A buddy called today and said he had someone with a black walnut, huge tree, down and needed it cut up and hauled off. He called back to say another person was already handling it and all they had left was some trash trees.....I asked him to stop and get me some pics just incase those "trash" trees might be something worth getting LOL!

What have you people turned me in to bahahaha!

BTW, they are calling for high wind tomorrow, so when I head to town I will take all back roads with my saws ready to help "clear" roads LOL

I see another road trip for DAMP... let me know!