Thread: Working with olive

Working with olive

I am blessed to have a large amount of olive wood...just short of half a cord! 6-12" trunks that were sealed 2 years ago. Given my new bandsaw, I had a lash slicing it down the middle...like butter! But it is still wet! I really want to keep it in bowl stock sizes. Some is going to head out in return for some cool cherry I received awhile back!
    These logs are highly figured and smell fantastic! Hard as a rock and almost impossible to turn with Tormek sharp Thompson tools. I don't have and am not a fan of anchor seal since the ends are already coated. So any suggestions to dry 6x6 rounds a bit faster? I already snapped a tenon...1/2 thick on a 4" bowl at 500 rpm. That led me to say HELP!! Happy New Year folks!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I don't have a lot of experience with olive, but it strikes me as one of those woods that's never quite dry... Similar to some of the oily exotics. Short of a kiln, I'm not sure there's a way to speed the drying. Seems like that kind of wood gloat deserves a photo or two...

From time to time I buy some Olive from an ebayer in Fresno (freight is a killer) and I'm surprised to that you have problems turning your Olive. I usually let the pieces I buy dry out for anywhere from two to five years and it still turns like butter with a variety of gouges sharpened with my Wolverine setup. Olive is my favorite wood for turning in that it deodorizes my shop for a few days and the ladies love the items I make with it. But they don't want to pay my prices so I get to keep a lot of it and use it to distribute to family. Good Luck with your treasure of Olive!

Why do want to dry it before turning?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Cuz this stuff is dense and hard as a rock! 8" around by 12" long weighs 22lbs!

Drying will affect the weight, but dry wood is harder and denser than wet wood, so I would anticipate this being even more difficult to work dry. The only olive I have turned was a "Bethlehem olive" pen blank, and it didn't seem unusually hard or dense, but it sure smelled wonderful.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Well, that settles it... Jim needs to send this wood out to all of us, so we can tell how it differs from the other olive we've turned.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Well, that settles it... Jim needs to send this wood out to all of us, so we can tell how it differs from the other olive we've turned.
    Yep David i think he does.

Ok...let me knock down this next tree and we'll about moving a bit of it around...Steve Carter has a big chunk coming...no questions asked. I'm working 7 out of 8 with 2 hours of travel between some of it. Why?...cuz I'm really really stupid!!! When I find home, I'll work on cutting some up. So Happy New Year everyone!!!