Thread: DIY Woverine Jig?

DIY Woverine Jig?

So I'm looking at the wolverine jig, and for $100 I get a V shaped stop at the end on an adjustable arm. Am I missing something? Seems kinda pricey, I could use some aluminum square and angle and make my own pretty cheap and pretty quick. I've been using a jig similar to what Rowley talks about in his book, basically a big 4x3" adjustable rest, for grinding. I've done okay on my gouges, but I look at the vari-grind jig and think for the $50 it would be a good time saver- but I feel like I could make my own wolverine jig, am I missing something that makes it worth the $100? I'd rather spend the money on tools.
    Where did I put that?

Rob- CSUSA price is $88- base set comes with both the v-arm and a heavy flat platforn plus the 2 bases. I have 2 grinders with a set for each plus the vari-grind (original - NOT the II )
    Vari-grind is well woth the money. If anybody has the materials, the v-arm can easily be homemade.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Yea make your own. You can make an extremely serviceable copy. You can even make the whole thing out of wood if you want. The design is fairly straight forward and there are few pitfalls in making your own. For some folks the time and effort to make your own consumes valuable free time which they would rather spend turning wood.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Time = money. If you have the time, and the necessary tools (welder), etc., then by all means. For me, I would rather have the day to turn and not fool with it for the difference. But, then, I am not much on tinkering.

I'm with John. There was a time, pre-lathe acquisition, that I would enjoy tinkering and coming up with what I need. Those days are loooooong past. Heck, if I had the money, I would pay someone to change the light bulbs in the shop!
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

Hi Rob, I'm kinda new around here. Just sort of lurking you might say. My wood turning skills are such that me giving advice to you guys & gals would be like me trying to teach a fish to swim. BUT I possibly have an answer to your problem.
    Here tiz:
    http://aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html
    Darrell Feltmate has come up with
    (IMHO) a very good sharpening jig. I made one for myself and it works a treat. I think I've got about $3.00 invested in it. (one piece of threaded rod and a couple of wing nuts) Everything else I had laying around the shop or in the garage or out in the shed. Anyway you get the picture. Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps.

Check out my post on this thread for the link to a wooden grinding jig (NOT the King Heple).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1251309
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Heres a video of a home made one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9RDnJHz9g

And heres a thread from another forum member
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...homemade-stuff

_
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Rob, I had the same thought. I was going to use some angle iron I have laying around. If you go to the Wolverine website and watch the instructional videos on how to use the Wolverine system, you'll know everything you need to to copy it.

That said, I haven't gotten around to it yet. Time is short, as others have said. Also, if you take off the markup the retailers are charging, the amount the manufacturer is probably getting isn't outrageous. I'll probably make the sliding pocket jig with the side pockets and pay for the Varigrind.

Or you could go with the King Heiple wooden jig.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Hybrid solution:

I already had a Veritas tool rest for my grinder, so I didn't need the one that comes with the Wolverine.

So I bought the vari-grind and just made a v-arm for it. All you need for that is a wingnut and bolt, and about 24" of scrap plywood.

I'm glad I bought the vari-grind. It's just so easy to use and holds the tool securely. When sweeping back the wings, I appreciate the solid smoothness of the vari-grind; it is easy to 'roll' back and forth. I did not experience that with the block-and-pointy-dowel jig I made previously.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys. There's a part of me that doesn't like paying for something I can do (like building a deck, staining the deck, etc) but for me lately time has been precious and this time last year I hired a carpenter friend to do my deck for me. It helped him out and saved me a TON of time. Not the same scale here, but same idea. I was thinking about using some aluminum T track bolted under the grinder with an adjustable V block, which should be simple and quick- But then I got an email from CSU today with 15% off and decided just to buy the darned thing, along with a few other things I had been eyeing (since I can get free shipping on the order too). So instead of spending $140 on the jig I ended up spending $225 on the jig, and some pepper mill mechanisms, and pen kits... So goes the vortex I'm quickly learning...
    Where did I put that?

Blog Entries
    <chuckle> Rob... I did the same thing for the same reason. Ended up with the jig, a couple of books, and a $132 bill.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Ha! They got me too. Ordered the Vari-grind and the Trend Air Shield Pro (maybe a way to buy more time?).
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I have several like Lloyd's link for different tools and they work just fine. No adjustments to make just set the length tighten and go!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN