Thread: suggestons

suggestons

I had some difficulty turning a small box today. what was my worst mistake. I took about 5" of 3" square stock and mounted in my talon chuck with candle wax type coating still on the sides. Used dead center and turned top and sides and parted the top. I removed dead center and use Round nose and bang. Remounted it and used narrow round nose and bang and quit. If I mounted the box with a turned foot would it have held better than the square. I could have turned a foot whie usng the dead center. Was the wax coating a problem and should be removed. Thanks Harry

Part of the problem, I would guess, but the main reason for a tenon vs. grasping square stock is to have wood to metal contact the full circumference of the chuck jaws - or as near as possible. The way you did it, there are only 8 very small points where the jaws make contact and no utilization of the dovetail clamping pressure of the chuck design.

The Oneway jaws are actually designed to hold square stock quite securely. They have a profile that touches the square blank at 8 points with approximately 3/8" of the jaw touching at each of those 8 points. In addition, many of the Talon jaws are not profiled with a dovetail so they hold a 90 degree tenon.

Questions:
    1) Some blanks are coated with a thick wax (say up to 1/16" or possibly 1/8" thick) and some have more of a paper thin wax coat. Did your blank have a thick coat? If so, I could definitely see it popping out.

2) Are the jaws you are using the smooth or the serrated? The serrated would work better for the type of blank you are turning - especially with the wax.

3) How are you presenting the scraper? Handle down might be too aggressive, bring the handle level or very slightly above the toolrest for a gentle cut.

4) Did you tighten the jaws sufficiently? I'd crank them down harder if you are loosing a little blank like that.

4) Did you close one eye, hold your left arm in the air, and hop around in circles on one foot while holding your breath before turning the blank? Most people forget this one....

Good luck!!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

You John folks helped out a lot. I really was not aggressive at all but guilty on all other counts. Particularly the dance. Thanks so much for the help. I think I'll bore a hole with a fostner in the square end which does have a center mark and hold it using inside chuck jaws and turn down the square for a tenon with the dead center in place and use your suggestions at an attempt to repair the damage. thanks so much Harry

Harry,

Two things.

The wax is bad news. It acts like grease in this situation.

A tenon with a shoulder would hold better that the square without a shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    The Oneway jaws are actually designed to hold square stock quite securely. They have a profile that touches the square blank at 8 points with approximately 3/8" of the jaw touching at each of those 8 points. In addition, many of the Talon jaws are not profiled with a dovetail so they hold a 90 degree tenon.

Questions:
    1) Some blanks are coated with a thick wax (say up to 1/16" or possibly 1/8" thick) and some have more of a paper thin wax coat. Did your blank have a thick coat? If so, I could definitely see it popping out.

2) Are the jaws you are using the smooth or the serrated? The serrated would work better for the type of blank you are turning - especially with the wax.

3) How are you presenting the scraper? Handle down might be too aggressive, bring the handle level or very slightly above the toolrest for a gentle cut.

4) Did you tighten the jaws sufficiently? I'd crank them down harder if you are loosing a little blank like that.

4) Did you close one eye, hold your left arm in the air, and hop around in circles on one foot while holding your breath before turning the blank? Most people forget this one....

Good luck!!
    On the second number 4, does it matter which eye is closed? Which foot? Should the circles be clockwise or counter? I want to incorporate this into my turning ritual, but I don't want to develop bad habits by doing it incorrectly.

And what shoes did you have on? T-shirt or jacket, Blue or green? Did you have a hat on?
    On a serious note...check the handle angle of the scraper...it it sharp? Refer to previous posts on sharpening a scraper. Were there any gaps in the wood that would cause a catch? How dry is the wood? Keep your touch soft and cuts slight.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Many folks use paste wax to lube and protect their ways. Wax on your blank is surely acting as a lubricant and adding to your issues.

Get rid of the wax. If you are in the habit of anchor sealing rough outs, as I am, you need to remove that from the tenon as well before thinking of chucking it.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"