Thread: Birch salad bowl

Birch salad bowl

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and hopefully extended weekend.

This is an attempt to add a little decoration to otherwise plain birch that is so plentiful around here. After forming a slight flush bead, burning the lines with a wire, I used an ancient soldering iron that used to hang by my dads workbench as early as I can remember. It actually took longer for the soldering iron to heat up than it took to turn the entire outside of the bowl. I simply pressed it in till it sunk a little. 11" diam., one heavy application of walnut oil/beeswax mix.

C&C always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the embellishment. A fine bowl.

Boy does that birch look familiar... I cut one recently that has an IDENTICAL pattern in the wood. Before it is split in half, an end-view of the log looks like a rose. I definitely have wood envy for those living east and west of us with a variety of hardwoods!

I like the embellishments, very tasteful, compliments the subtle figure in the wood. Nice pic too by the way.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

That's pretty! The detail is 'just right' for my taste!

Not much finer to work with that yellow birch. Yours looks an awful lot like I have, and I'm in southern Ontario!
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

Nice work Hayes! This bowl has a very clean look to it! Just enough embellishment to make it interesting and not so much as to detract from the beauty of the wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Pretty neat - looks like walnut square plugs in the bead!

I'd be happy to get a bowl to turn out like that!! The extra's are very cool! My M&M's in that bowl any day!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I luv this bowl..the birch colors are subtle, but wonderful and your minimalist decoration is just right. Good 'un!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe