Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Sawmill- Open Segmented Turner

New to the Sawmill- Open Segmented Turner

I am a new member to this group. I have a Nova DVR lathe and do mostly open and closed segmented turning. I have modified the William Smith fixture for open segment assembly and it works better for me. If anyone is interested I could post pictures and design( when design is finished). I am designing and building a more professional model now. I have also built a really slick duplicator attachment. Sometimes I think I have more fun building fixtures than bowls.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-24-2011 at 9:59 AM.

Welcome to the other side Dale. Can't help much with segmenting our ornamental work, Scott Hackler is definitely the man around here for that. Look forward to seeing your work.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Look forward to seeing pictures of you jigs and turnings.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome aboard. Like to see your work.
    C&C WELCOME

Welcome Dale! This place is all about sharing so I would encourage you to post your ideas and techniques.

Welcome to the Creek. This is a great group of people. We look forward to seeing your work.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Welcome and of course, post pics! We pretty much all like them...

Can't wait to see your work.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-24-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Dale, welcome to the creek!! We look forward to seeing your postings and particularly the fixture designs - this bunch of folks love that stuff.

I sent you a PM (private message) and you should also have your "settings" such that you are notified by a pop-up when you receive a PM.

Dale,another welcome. I don't watch TV and have no problem spending too much time viewing all things woodturning.

Welcome Dale, (from another one who likes pictures!)

welcome Dale..not too many segmenters here, but myself and a few others. Let's see those pictures!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Welcome! Photos, photos, photos... We love 'em!

Welcome to the Creek Dale! We are all looking forward to seeing some of your work! Where you located??
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome Dale, glad you decided to post here. I know what you mean about having fun making jigs and fixtures, I too like the challenges of do that. I've only done one segmented turning to date and it's quite interesting. There are too many things to try to be able to stay on one type for very long. We would certainly be interested in all you have to share.
    Merry Christmas!

Well Dale, welcome aboard! And yes, pictures please.