Thread: delta 46-715

delta 46-715

a lathe is the only significant woodworking tool i don't have. this CL delta is asking $100 and needs another $225 on top of that (new motor and banjo).

http:// newyork.craigslist.org/fct/tls/2766861064.html

i haven't seen it yet, but i like that the speed is variable down to 600 rpm. is this slow enough for turning? turn bowls holds absolutely no interest for me, but table spindles or decorative elements might be in the cards. i'd be getting the lathe as a kind of "in case i need it one day" type of tool. constructive comments and opinions are appreciated. thanks
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-24-2011 at 7:44 AM. Reason: To remove link to CL per TOS

As a wood turner I doubt that you'll be satisfied with this lathe in the long run even if it was free. The problem with the 46-715 lathe is the Reeves Drive, the light weight and the 3/4 HP motor. If this one is old enough to need a new motor and banjo, then I suspect you'll find other problems with it like pulleys and bearings. But, you do need a good lathe in your shop, "just in case", so I would recommend you pass this one up and put that $300 toward a better buy --- that I'm sure you'll find now that you are looking.

Dang shame it's not listed for sale in my neck of the woods. I would install a VS motor and do away with the reeves drive--- somewhere in my junk pile I have a banjo for it. The banjo is really a ebay item they have them listed all the time. So if you have more time than money----not a bad buy.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I think I would pass on that one. Like Bill said if it has those two major problems what other problems does it have. You could get a new Delta 46-460 which has a bigger motor, 12" swing also and the low speed is good. 600 rpm is to fast and with a unbalanced blank on it is a hard one to handle.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I totally agree with Bernie. I just recommended the Delta to a friend because of the good reviews the guys here on the Creek have given this lathe. The variable frequecy drive really makes a huge difference on the unbalanced blanks.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Put your money into a lathe that is ready to use and not a rebuild project, and the Delta Midi with bed extension will handle both bowls and table legs for your immediate needs and future projects quite well. That is , until you want to turn larger bowls and leave the spindle turning behind!

I have one of these lathes. Don't get it.

The motor is strong enough and the bed, toolrest base, tailstock and headstock are fine, but it is the mechanical variable speed Reeves drive that is worthless.

I now have a Robust American Beauty. What a difference.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post

The motor is strong enough and the bed, toolrest base, tailstock and headstock are fine, but it is the mechanical variable speed Reeves drive that is worthless.

You wouldn't kid us now would you?

I'd pass on this one too--I have it also. The reeves drive is a poor bet. I had to replace some parts a couple of years ago when someone tried to change speeds while the motor was off. Parts for this lathe are hard to get (4 or 5 month wait back then) and expensive--they no longer sell the pulley parts seperately, you have to buy a 'kit'. By the time you get this fixed up, you are well on your way to something nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    You wouldn't kid us now would you?
    Same story here. I had the Delta 46-715, but got rid of it. Now I have a Oneway 2436. What a difference!

Gotta say, I would not pay $100 if you still needed a motor and banjo. I think you would be better off to keep looking. Especially if you have time - it sounds like you don't need it now.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll