Thread: Anyone know Cb radios?

Anyone know Cb radios?

I got a problem with my Cobra CB. I usually always keep it on channel 19 and when I turn it off or turn the truck off and start it up again its on channel 33. Anyone know why? Thanks.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Aaron,
    CB like some stereo, PCs and VCRs have a small battery or specialized capacitor to fuel the memory of the unit. After a while, like all of us it wears out and your unit will go to it's default setting when power is removed. Unless you have a good test bench wizard that loves you or you have some dirt on him/her, it's not worth fixing on today's disposable electronics.
    Make sure that the 12VDC supply is connected correctly. On some units a separate B+ supply that is hot all the time is provided just for the memory and panel lights. Good hunting.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

The simple fix is to re-wire the radio so that it is hooked up to a 12v dc supply that is always on, no matter where the key is. Whenever I used to run a CB, this is how I would wire mine, and I would never have a dead battery. Just get in the habbit of shutting off the CB when you get in and out.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I don't know anything about CBs so take this for what it is worth. If Tyler is correct and your CB has a little internal battery like PCs, it may be easily replaceable. A lot of PCs use the little button batteries that can be replaced for about 5 bucks. I would at least remove the cover of the CB and see if there is a battery visible.

Another thing to do would be to find the Cobra web site and email their technical people. They could tell you if there is a battery that can be replaced.

Thanks for the replies. I tried Jeff's idea cuz I don't know the inner workings of anything electronic and it fixed it. Thanks again.