Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How cold does it have to get for pipes to freeze?

From my experience, the interior of an insulated / unheated structure is usually about 10 degrees warmer than the outside temperature. The pipes would have to get below 32 degrees F. to freeze.

Why are laws so slated towards tenants that a landlord can't protect their $100,000+ investment?

It seems to me if you have rentals in areas with freezing weather that a low temp alarm could be installed. The only problem is most require a land line and a lot of people no longer have those. (Might not be allowed to connect to a tenant's line anyhow.) They probably have models that use cellular connections I suppose. Would a judge really not allow a landlord to check on a unit that is sending low temp alarms?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    That's not really possible to do. It also would halt the eviction process and we'd have to go back and start it all over again.
    As you can see from the other posts, the law is heavily on the side of the tenant - up to a certain point.
    OK then. Pay a thief to do it.
    Hell, give me $100 and I'll do it.

EDIT: Not that I'm a thief, mind you.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 12-24-2011 at 9:01 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

In you can't go in I would recommend that you crack open one of the outside faucets, minimal flow, this will help prevent freezing and also allow for expansion should freezing happen.

If the water are in your name simply call the water works and had it turn off, MERRY CHRISTMAS

Now I remember why I got out of the apartment rental business in 1999! Best of luck, Rich.
    Last edited by Lloyd Kerry; 12-24-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
    Lloyd Kerry

We've got a laundry sink in our unheated but insulated garage. The pipes to it don't freeze until it gets bitter cold unless Someone leaves the garage door open. I usually shut off the valves in the basement, well, about now, just to be safe but they've never frozen hard enough to do damage.

If you have good reason to believe they are intentionally vandalizing the place, can't you get the police get involved?

I know this & my guarded replies can be frustrating. I'm just as frustrated....

First - thanks for the tips on the freezing pipes. I know my attached and unheated garage never get's cold enough to freeze anything until it gets well below zero.
    I *think* we're going to be ok - at least I hope so.

Re: the situation.
    We'll have to wait to see how the court decides. I really can't say any more than that. I can't do something based on what someone might do or might not do.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    If the water are in your name simply call the water works and had it turn off, MERRY CHRISTMAS

Even if he could legally do this, and he can't, it still wouldn't prevent the pipes from freezing unless they were drained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Even if he could legally do this, and he can't, it still wouldn't prevent the pipes from freezing unless they were drained.
    I think the idea is that there wouldn't be a flood.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I think the idea is that there wouldn't be a flood.

Maybe so, but as long as there are tenants who occupy the rental structure, many states (if not all) prevent you from turning off utilities even if they aren't paying the rent.

A certain city in OHIO are having a problem with the utilities because of the unpay bills, the tenants will pay their rent but the building owners refuse to pay the utilities bill and the tenant are the ones that suffer because of their utilities getting turn off, this were not just one time thing but it happen many time during the past decade, the U S A need a law that will work for the whole nation as a whole which will deal with providing heat to all renters and home owners, this law could be grandfather to protect the owner in case of the tenant being evict from the property

Some seniors have died in their homes in Michigan due to utility companies turning off their power during the cold months due to their inability to pay. I think that Michigan has passed some legislation to stop the companies from cutting power and hold them accountable in the event of deaths.
    David B

the utility s LIST includes cable, phone, water, electric and gas, the last two are for heat during the winter and for cooking, A C during the summer and cooking, turning them off will results in the murder of someone

Minnesota has a law that does not allow utilities to turn off gas/electric during the cold months. I think plenty of people take advantage of the law and simply don't pay their bill until absolutely forced to. Service can be disconnected in the spring unless a payment plan is established.

One of the problems is lower income people tend to live in drafty homes that cost a ton to heat. I've heard of people here in Minneapolis paying up to $500 for natural gas in a really cold month. I live in a 10 year old house and my combined gas/electric bill has never been beyond $210 that I can recall. I have a budget plan with a $137 month a payment right now. I run the A/C at 75 degrees all summer long so that adds to my bill.