Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shop tour #1

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Lou, I am particularly interest in the mechanism's that you use to open/close/lock your doors. I have 4" home made doors on my shop and have neither found not devised anything that I am real happy with.
    frank and others

go to the "national hardware" site and look under the gate section and then look at the latch section. They make these very nice twisty turney latches for thick doors. They say that this one can handle a 3" thick door, but you can extend the "turner bar" for thicker doors. That is what I did. Most of the "true value" hardware stores carry the "national" line

here is some of the catalogue info

<TABLE class=leveltables><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>CATEGORY </TD><TD> GATE</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left> SUBCATEGORY </TD><TD> LATCHES</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left> PRODUCT TYPE </TD><TD> DOOR/GATE LATCHES</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left> CATALOG </TD><TD> 25</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left> ITEM </TD><TD> N101-659</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=500 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=200 colSpan=2 rowSpan=10> </TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom width=200 colSpan=2>Description</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc width=200 colSpan=2> Swinging Door Latches For 3" Doors</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Stock Number</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Part Number</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc width=100> N101-659</TD><TD class=detaildesc width=100> .25.3..J3</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Finish</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Package Type</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc width=100>Zinc plated</TD><TD class=detaildesc width=100> 6045 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Size</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Size 2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc width=100> </TD><TD class=detaildesc width=100> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Material</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>UPC</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc width=100> Steel</TD><TD class=detaildesc width=100> 038613101654</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=4> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Qty Per Package</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Qty Per Box</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Qty Per Case</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Package Type Price Book</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc> 1</TD><TD class=detaildesc> 1</TD><TD class=detaildesc> </TD><TD class=detaildesc> Boxed</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Package (WxHxD)</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Box (WxHxL)</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Case (WxHxL)</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>UM</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc> x x </TD><TD class=detaildesc> 4.88 x 3.00 x 5.63</TD><TD class=detaildesc> 0.00 x 0.00 x 0.00</TD><TD class=detaildesc> EA</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>BCStkNo</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Box I25</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Case I25</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Bar Coded 2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc> N101-659</TD><TD class=detaildesc> 10038613101651</TD><TD class=detaildesc> 20038613101658</TD><TD class=detaildesc> Box BC</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Box SWL (each)</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>SWL Lbs (each)</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Unit Weight</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Box Weight</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc> </TD><TD class=detaildesc> </TD><TD class=detaildesc> 1.784</TD><TD class=detaildesc> 1.784</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Harmonizing Code Universal</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Harmonizing Code U.S.</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Harmonizing Code Canada</TD><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom>Harmonizing Code Mexico</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc> 830241</TD><TD class=detaildesc> 6045 </TD><TD class=detaildesc> 9090</TD><TD class=detaildesc> 0 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom colSpan=4>Disclaimers</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detaildesc colSpan=4> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailhead vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=4>Made in China </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    frank and others

go to the "national hardware" site and look under the gate section and then look at the latch section. They make these very nice twisty turney latches for thick doors. They say that this one can handle a 3" thick door, but you can extend the "turner bar" for thicker doors. That is what I did. Most of the "true value" hardware stores carry the "national" line
    Thanks Lou, I will see if I can find this anywhere in Canada. Failing that, I will be in the USA next month,

How did you extend the "turner bar"?

28'x38', 10' ceilings, wide and grade level shop access, windows for natural light, 3-phase utility-supplied power - there is only one thing I can say.

DROOL, DROOL, DROOL!!!

Rob

Lou,
    I was bummed that I missed out on the wood you had for sale. Now I'm really bummed that I can't go pick it up from that awesome shop. Great execution of the design.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Lou, great lookn' hangout. Can't wait to see the innards.

Lou,

I started to reply at work the other day as soon as I saw the shop, but work got in the way......

Anyway, your shop is just amazing, particularly to those of us whose shops are in our basements. I'd love to see it someday..... perhaps at the first annual Connecticut/Northeast SMC get-together

Hey, count me in on the CT/Northeast SMC get together. There's a growing contingent of us New Englanders on SMC

Bob

Beautiful shop building you've made for yourself there. I'm looking forward to round #2 as well. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

I have been really surprised (pleasantly) at the size of the SMC Connecticut contingent. A get together sounds like a blast. Soon as the snow melts ...

I must have missed this post when it originated...very nice looking shop Lou! Sure does fit in alright.