Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop tour #1

Lou,
    Absolutely beautiful, I too will be waiting for the next post. -Steve

Very very cool shop building Lou! Thanks for the pics and can't wait to see inside.

Corey

WOW,

More now, please!! You are one hard working and lucky guy.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone used incredible yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Haigh
    Lou,
    I have been building doors for my shop and would be very interested in the details of your doors. How do you seal them? How do you lock them? Any details would be great.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Hello rick

I will post a couple of photos on the doors, but for now let me describe them.
    1. they are a full 4'x8' on the small doors and 5'x9' on the big double doors.
    2. They are built using 3 layers of wood, each layer is 1.25" thick, each layer alternates between vertical and horizontal orientation.
    3. Each layer was glued together using "pressure treated lumber cement"- lots of it and then hundreds of screws holding it together. The final outside layer was nailed on using galvanized screw type nails.
    4. Once the door was built the pintle part of the strap hinge was installed in the timber frame where the door would be located.
    5. I took carefull measurements of those locations and then mounted the strap hinge on the door with galvanized carrage bolts ( 12 per strap )
    6. The door was then hung on the pintle ( the little ones weighed about 250 + lbs each )
    7. Once it was all fitted in the door jam I then added another 2" layer of ridged insulation and then a final skin of plywood. The doors are about 6" thick at this point. It is sort of like opening one of those old walk in freezer doors
    8. I use a special "twist - turn " latch for opening and closing the door.
    9. Only one of the 5 doors has this latch, the rest have a dead bolt type of setup that I can open from the inside if I want to.

hope this helps
    lou

Outstanding design, Lou, and I really appreciate how you remained true to the look and feel of a structure that would have been appropriate for your property and home. Wonderful! I too, am looking forward to future installments of your tour.,
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lou,
    Excellent job. It would fit right in, in some of the older parts of Meriden, where I grew up. Congratulations.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

My goodness! Simply superb! As astounding as the building looks from the outside, I too can hardly wait to see the inside. Looks to be truly a labor of love, Lou! Well done, indeed.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Lou,
    I am impressed! Wonderful use of materials and design ideas. To build such a tidy structure that fits so well with the rest of the property and is so functional; good think and execution. Looks like it was born there several hundred years ago.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Hi Lou, Shop looks great. You did a great job. Nice design, blends in well with everything. I know that you put in a lot of work to build it.
    take care,
    John

Question How about construction photos

Beautiful building Lou! It must give you great satisfaction to have planned and built it. I particularly like the way in which you have combined traditional and modern building techniques,

Like the others, a will be very interested in seeing the interior. But, I am even more interested in seeing a series of pictures of the construction. Is that possible?

Beautiful building! It has a lot of character and really fits the setting. Great design!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Lou.....great work! I, like the others, look forward to the interior tour!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Beautiful building Lou! It must give you great satisfaction to have planned and built it. I particularly like the way in which you have combined traditional and modern building techniques,

Like the others, a will be very interested in seeing the interior. But, I am even more interested in seeing a series of pictures of the construction. Is that possible?
    hi frank

I had taken a few old fashoned pictures of when I was building the frame and such. I was thinking of trying to scan some of them in and then share them with all you folks. One of the nice things about post and beam construction is that it is sort of like making a hugh piece of furniture.
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    Hello rick

I will post a couple of photos on the doors, but for now let me describe them.
    8. I use a special "twist - turn " latch for opening and closing the door.
    9. Only one of the 5 doors has this latch, the rest have a dead bolt type of setup that I can open from the inside if I want to.

hope this helps
    lou
    Lou, I am particularly interest in the mechanism's that you use to open/close/lock your doors. I have 4" home made doors on my shop and have neither found not devised anything that I am real happy with.