Thread: So I finally pulled the trigger

So I finally pulled the trigger

After seeing all the new Monster set ups & the fantastic Hollow Forms on here. I finally ordered a Monster for my self. The pain killers from my surgery probably influenced me to, there should be a warning label on the pill bottle. So while i'am recovering for the next few weeks I thought i'd order the items needed to build me a steady rest. Similar to the Nicol rest but instead using a companion flange I will be using 1" black iron pipe to make the hoop. Any suggestions on the wheels. I want to make sure I get some that will hold up and not mark up the wood.
    Last edited by Tom Hardy; 12-22-2011 at 9:37 PM.

Gratz on the purchase Tom...you're gonna love it!! I did the same thing with my Mutabo ROS...my wife wipes out all internet connections after a hospital visit now
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Tom - congrats on ordering the Monster hollowing system - you will love it! About the only suggestion on the wheels for your steady is to get some that are clear or non-colored. I have some clear roller blade wheels that are firm - not super soft or real hard - and they work great! Looking forward to seeing the photos! Hope you heal quickly and get back to turning soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Gratz on the purchase Tom...you're gonna love it!! I did the same thing with my Mutabo ROS...my wife wipes out all internet connections after a hospital visit now
    That's to funny me Wife said something similar.

I'm in the process of making a Nicol type rest myself. I am using the flange for mine though. I would second what Steve said about the clear firm wheels.
    Sparky Paessler

Tom, a big congrats on the Monster rig!!! Life will be better going forward - for sure. No help on the steady - but, I do love my Nicol steady!

Since you are on drugs already (easy to justify your actions with your better half) and are in the ordering mood, order a Jeff Nichols steady reset. I just bought one last month and it works great. Now I just need a monster.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Tom - congrats on ordering the Monster hollowing system - you will love it! About the only suggestion on the wheels for your steady is to get some that are clear or non-colored. I have some clear roller blade wheels that are firm - not super soft or real hard - and they work great! Looking forward to seeing the photos! Hope you heal quickly and get back to turning soon!
    Thanks Steve, after the holiday I will go to the local skate shop and see if they can set me up with some clear firm wheels.

Congratulations Tom, another one bites the dust. Wishing you a quick and complete recovery.

Congrats Tom. You are going to love it as it does make life easier. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Acadamy has a wide choice and imagine a better price if you have an Acadamy close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hardy View Post
    Thanks Steve, after the holiday I will go to the local skate shop and see if they can set me up with some clear firm wheels.
    Some time last year i did the same and was shocked by the price... i dont rember what it was but it was alot - way more then i planed on spending.
    Did alittle searching around and picked up a few '99mm ABEC 5 Urethane Wheel' from rockler (clearence $2 apiece). Never got around to using them (yet), but the reviews said that they did not mark the wood.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks