Thread: Quick Christmas spin

Quick Christmas spin

I posted a couple of bottlestoppers last year and, as time would allow, that's all I've been able to turn out for this Christmas as well. I have somewhat a "favorite" shape for the stoppers, and this one follows the pattern with some slight modifications.

(I think the bottom bead could be a bit smaller diameter upon closer exam . . . would flow a bit better I can now see.) The finish is Mylands 3-part. It actually looks better in person than in these pictures.

Thanks for looking. Any critiques to improve are more than welcome.

DSC_0009.jpgDSC_0013.jpg
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Looks good Jeff. I like the shape!
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Nice stopper Jeff! Someone's going to be happy to get it!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice work, Jeff. I disagree on the lower bead - seems to balance well with what you have. Is that cocobolo, bocote?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments!

John, the wood is cocobolo.

Have a Merry Christmas!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Jeff that is a good looking stopper. I don't see anything wrong with the bead myself as I like the shape.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks Bernie, coming from great turners like you and John, I appreciate the confirmation.

Have a wonderful holiday.
    Ayn Rand

Fine job Jeff! After a few, like 10 dozen! stoppers, there really are no rules. I made one yesterday for my BIL and he's a professional furniture maker. Although small, stoppers are an area where you can have a lot of fun! Experiment, try some glue-ups, beads, inlays...really, anything is cool on a stopper! Your finish looks great and the Tophat look is elegant! Merry Christmas!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Nice stopper Jeff! I like the bead just as you have it and wouldn't change that at all! Nice photos as well!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!