Thread: turning HF with green wood

turning HF with green wood

Hi All

So far my HF (vases) have been done using green wood, allowing the drying process to distort the shape.

I am thinking of first turn the HF about one inch thick , and re-turn once dry.

I know it is a common practice with bowls but I am curious if it is a common practice with HF

thanks

Martin

Turning to 10% of the diameter is pretty much of a necessity if you are going to try and fit other pieces of wood to your HF or you want to end up with something perfectly round.

Dunno...can't see it!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Martin - I turn all my hollow forms to 10%, let dry and then return. Baxter is right... if you plan on fitting other pieces of wood to it; pedestal, collar, lid, finial, etc... then the wood has to be dry first to insure everything will fit. If you are turning a HF and do not plan on adding anything to it... you can turn to an even thickness and let it warp while drying. Lots of options.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Roger that steve. a dry vase is almost necessary if you are planning on sanding and finishing to a gloss film finish. almost as fast is to endseal the outside and leave the inside to dry the piece. i swear the wood pulls together rather than apart if the outside is bare. i do double wax the lip and bottom. just chicken.----------old forester

Roger that Steve. also it is almost necessary to have dry wood if sanding and film finish are desired. i also endseal the outside of vases and double wax the bottom and lip. it dries almost as fast and i swear the wood pulls together rather than apart as is the case when drying from the outside.--------------old forester