Thread: Big lathe on Craigslist

Big lathe on Craigslist

I'm waiting to hear from Grizzly whether they still intend to ship my discontinued GO698, so naturally I went shopping on CL. Found this monster, described as:

"This is a very old, super solid, heavily-modified South Bend Lathe from the 20's or 30's. GE 200 line motor. Max volts: 600AC. Max amps: 18. Hendrie and Bolthoff plaque on the side. It can currently only be used with wood. In good condition. Please come by and take a look.

Measures 8 feet, 8 inches from inside motor to end.

2 feet, 11 inches high.

$525 "

Looks to me like it has risers installed.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

That's a big one alright! Not sure what thoughts you're looking for. It's probably overkill for making pens , but if you anticipate big spindle turning that might fit your bill. The 600VAC electrical service would likely be a big challenge/expense for a residential shop. Would your standard chucks and jigs fit it? My guess on the $525 is you'd pay that much again to ship it wherever you're going!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

3. Doug,

It is likely that if they accepted your order for the G0698, then they will fill it.........or perhaps give you an option on the model to replace it.........the G0733..........which what I hear is an upgraded version of the G0698................Grizzly is known for their customer service and support............

Let us know when you hear something!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-21-2011 at 1:53 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Doug,

It is likely that if they accepted your order for the G0698, then they will fill it.........or perhaps give you an option on the model to replace it.........the G0733..........which what I hear is an upgraded version of the G0698................Grizzly is known for their customer service and support............

Let us know when you hear something!
    Grizzly did reply that they are expecting one more shipment of the GO698 on January 12 and they will fill orders, including mine, from that.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Busey View Post
    That's a big one alright! Not sure what thoughts you're looking for. It's probably overkill for making pens , but if you anticipate big spindle turning that might fit your bill. The 600VAC electrical service would likely be a big challenge/expense for a residential shop. Would your standard chucks and jigs fit it? My guess on the $525 is you'd pay that much again to ship it wherever you're going!
    I think it's wired for 220v, but that's one of the things I would check, along with spindle size, swing, bearings, and whether the centers line up after the risers were installed, if that's what they are. I may still look at it, as I can imagine a big spindle, but I'm really looking to do large diameter bowls and it sounds like Grizzly is going to come through. Maybe I could get this one, too, and put it out in the barn.

This has been in the Denver Craigslist more than once with no takers, if any of you locals are interested in it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    Grizzly did reply that they are expecting one more shipment of the GO698 on January 12 and they will fill orders, including mine, from that.

Great to hear that Doug............I think you will like this lathe.........it is a good performer...........I have turned on 3 different 3520b's and they are great..........my G0698 does very well in comparison..........the banjo on the 3520b is nicer, but the one on the G0698 is identical to the Jet 16/42 evs.

Roger were can I find out more on the Grizzly GO733 you were talking about?? I looked on grizzly site nothing came up on a serach .

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dahl Troy Perry View Post
    Roger were can I find out more on the Grizzly GO733 you were talking about?? I looked on grizzly site nothing came up on a serach .
    Dahl,

It is my understanding that the new model G0733 will be in the new catalog from Grizzly come January..........usually they put the new machines in the new catalog..................it should come up on their website on Jan. 1st as well.......at least that is the way the G0698 came up two years ago.

I got my info from Bart Leetch, who lives about an hour from the Bellingham, Wa. store, and spoke with some folks there.