Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backgammon Set Project

Backgammon Set Project

After seeing Jameel's backgammon set in PWM I wanted to do something similar, I decided to tackle one for my parents for Christmas. It's been a little tough going so far, this is my first veneering project, though the sample I did turned out pretty well (until I planed it some and tore out huge chunks) The first half wound up with a ton of ripples, I suspect that I didn't use enough tape or weight. I redid it, and clamped it in a 4,000 lb press I have at work, which did the trick.

The core is 1/4" Baltic Birch, the outside is Padauk, the darts are also Padauk and the field is curly maple. The frame that hinges the two sides will also be Maple, the pieces will be Maple and Padauk. I'm going to set little LV magnetic catches in the outside edge to keep it closed. It's going to be tough to finish in a week, so fingers crossed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the final project.

Me too, only three days to go. I just cut the frame pieces and am debating between pinned rabbets and mitred corners. I just don't know.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Splined miters - GET 'ER DONE!!

I've settled on veneer splines through the butt glued miters. They will also be out of Padauk.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Looking good!

I thought about making this for the wife for Christmas, but I knew I just didn't have time time. I might still do it, just not right now.

Question on the design - aren't alternating triangles (or 'darts', as you call them) supposed to be different colors? Every board I've ever seen had alternating colors...
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

John, good question, most boards do have alternating colors, which would roughly correspond to which player's pieces start where. I got interested in the marquetry by Jameel Abraham's set...show below. I really liked how unified the set looked with the darts all the same color. My parents also play enough that they won't be confused at all where the pieces should go. I also wanted the curly maple as a background, and I couldn't find a contrasting set of veneers that I liked. Some of the boards I've seen have too mush going on, too many different colors in the field/banding/darts/sides etc. I think this combination is more elegant if harder do rapidly identify places.

My girlfriend is really into this project she want's me to make another one and teach her to play. That will be with inlay like Jameel's, wish me luck on that.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Well I almost made it.

The board surfaces have two coats of sprayed shellac, one frame needs the veneer splines, I need to add a few more coats, and I have to finish the Padauk pieces. I'll finish tomorrow and re-gift again later in the week. I'll post a picture when I'm finished.

I only have two (one small and one big) qualms about the piece, and a better way to do it next time. I have some gaps in the miters, small but they are there. I also broke a steel screw in one hinge hole, so I can't get that screw out ( I will always check my chart before driving screws from this day on). I also intend to build a really good miter shooting board. The procedural difference I would make would be to cut wider frame pieces, glue up both panels in frames at the same time, then cut free the two halves. I was in such a rush to finish one half to prove I could get it to work that I neglected to think about how difficult it would be to make two identical halves.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

My definition of a good woodworker is a woodworker who knows how to fix their own mistakes. Good job!

Todd.

Thanks Todd, I can't wait to do the next one, I have a lot of things better figured out for that one.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

So here's the finished board.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Looks great!

Is that a hacked-up drawer front on your bench? What's up with that?

If you mean the rectangle on the front left of the bench that is the beginning of the recess for a giant Columbian face vise install. It's a fair amount of work, and I didn't need the vise just yet so I stopped that to work on the backgammon set. It'll get in there soon.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Ah yes. Makes sense.

a Woodworker, with an unfinished project? It can't be.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop