Thread: Dust collector in close proximity to gas water heater?

Dust collector in close proximity to gas water heater?

Is there any reason this is a bad idea? I cannot think of one, but I am afraid I am overlooking something.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Not unless the heater is leaking gas and the pilot light is out. If you're concerned, however, go with an induction motor (versus a brushed)... reduced chance of sparks.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Is that where you keep your pile of oily rags, hand guns, and sharp things to run with?

On the surface nothing is going to happen. I'm sure the rate of incident is probably one in a million or more. I'm not an actuary or an insurance agent, but I wouldn't do it. Potential fuel + potential ignition source = potential fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Slimp View Post
    Is that where you keep your pile of oily rags, hand guns, and sharp things to run with?

On the surface nothing is going to happen. I'm sure the rate of incident is probably one in a million or more. I'm not an actuary or an insurance agent, but I wouldn't do it. Potential fuel + potential ignition source = potential fire.
    I understand this, but I have a VERY small work space and this arrangement is the most effective use of it. If the gas leaks I am screwed anyway since the furnace is only a few feet away. What I was more thinking about is that when the dust collector kicks on there is a sudden burst of air movement and I am wondering if this means anything to the water heater.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    What I was more thinking about is that when the dust collector kicks on there is a sudden burst of air movement and I am wondering if this means anything to the water heater.
    Unless the inlet or outlet of the DC is aimed at the flame/exhaust of the heater, there's nothing to worry about. I'm assuming you're venting back into the room and not outside, creating a negative pressure in the room, of course.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Is there any reason this is a bad idea? I cannot think of one, but I am afraid I am overlooking something.

Thanks.
    What kind of shop and dust collector installation are you talking about? Do you have it set up to pump any air outside of a closed shop? If so, you risk the minor inconvenience of death! Seriously, when a DC is vented outside it also draws in makeup air from any source possible, including sucking flu gases back down water heater or furnace vent pipes into the shop. Along with normal combustion products, the water heater flu vapors contain tasteless, odorless, colorless, AND DEADLY carbon monoxide. The concentration of CO won't be high enough to knock you out right away, but CO bonds very, very easily to the hemoglobin, the oxygen carrier in your blood- much more easily than oxygen. CO is persistent too, it stays in the hemoglobin for a long time, so the concentration will continue to build over time until you pass out and die from lack of oxygen in your brain and body. Other than feeling bad or a severe headache, there may be little warning.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 12-21-2011 at 12:53 PM.

It's a pretty simple dust collector--the kind with the canvas bags--and it doesn't vent outside. This isn't really a "shop"--it's just my basement. I am replacing some of my tool storage and trying to maximize my space a little better.