Thread: Under Table Dust Collection

Under Table Dust Collection

Hi guys,
    First time posting and I have a question/idea for dust collection under (inside) the router table.
    I am wandering if a 4" (100mm) PVC pipe with an opening near and behind the router could work? Please see attached photo.
    Thanks
    Steli
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought a gizmo that was about the same think from Woodcraft. haven't attached it yet, but I have high hopes <g>.

Just visited Woodcraft, couldn't find what you refer to. Can you name me the product or give me a link? I would love to check it out. Thanks

Here you go

just in case the link doesn't work...

Router Table Dust Collection Accessory

Item #151090

Oh! I see, Niceeeee
    Thanks Jerome

I've been looking at router table dust collection recently S - the range of working situations means they are tough to get set up.

Collection at the cutter/exhaust end of the router looks feasible, but any leakage is going to end up in the dust box or on the floor below so (a) the shroud needs to be correctly shaped, and (b) it seems likely that a high level duct entry won't pick what drops down into the dust box. The related issue to me is that it looks tough to get enough air moving down through the table to do a decent collection job - while managing cutter to insert clearances etc as needed to get smooth part feeding. The duct would need to be able to swallow the router's cooling air flow, and still create a decent negative pressure volume around the cutter.

I looked at perforating the rings and the router plate, but 'suck down' of the workpiece seems likely to become an issue if this is overdone.

It seems that pulling too much air from too close to the top/intake area of the router can disrupt it's cooling air flow - the options that work seem to be either a deep enough traditional bottom exit dust box (better still if it slopes to the outlet), or else a Bill Huber style layout that pokes the top of the router through a closely fitted hole in the bottom of the dust box - which may need setting up (air flow/pressure balancing) to get it working reliably.

Fence mounted collection is effective in some situations, but a dead loss when working slots in the middle of wide panels. The 'Dizzy port' looks like a neat way to get better CFM from your fence collection, but it's not easily accommodated if there is a need to retain the full e.g. 25in travel of an Incra positioner - the table surface would need to be extended back the full distance that the positioner travels when fully retracted.

The other issue is that the open area and hence air volumes passed by typical router table arrangements seem quite small. A high CFM e.g. Pentz/CV type dust system relies on flowing lots of air to deliver its characteristic improved fine dust collection, and for good chip transportation in the big duct - but cutting make up holes in the dust box below the table seem a pity as they are not going to do much to assist dust collection above it.

I've decided to take a fairly conservative route and go a bottom entry deep dust box that slopes to a 160mm/6in exit duct. The fence and through cutter/plate pick up will be fairly typical (with the option to mod both if options emerge), but in order to get some use from the high CFM available there will be an extra 4in hose connected to the dust box under the table through a blast gate - this to be clamped where/the airflow tuned as needed by the specific job.

As a solution it all feels a bit piecemeal, and isn't proven. That's the thought process so far though...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-20-2011 at 4:55 PM.

So far it works just fantastic....at sitting on top of the box with all my dust collection parts <g>. Hope to actually hook it up someday soon.