Thread: Mobile base on casters (tablesaw)

Mobile base on casters (tablesaw)

I need some mobility for some larger tools (tablesaw) specifically. I am interested in eithier building a mobile base like Don k’s (lumberjock on another forum) or The Wood Nerd’s pallet mobile base design (see website—-http://www.workshopaholic.net/workshop/mobileBases.html). I already have a mini pallet jack.

Questions, those that use dual locking casters how sturdy do they make the device and how well do these work on garage floors that aren’t perfectly flat.

Which would be better from other wood worker's experiences, thanks.

John
    Last edited by John Petsche; 12-19-2011 at 3:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

I use the Kreg locking casters. The are solid as a rock when locked. I added them to my table saw because the "normal" mobile base didn't give me enough clearance to roll between the garage and driveway without scrubbing. New arrangement handles that great. Floor in the garage/shop is nice and level, but I do have to find a good spot in the driveway to avoid rocking. Fo my application, I added a piece of plywood to the bottom of the saw drilled to let the Kreg caster's shaft poke through the foot hole in each saw leg. Secured all with nuts and washers. Added bonus for me since I'm tall, it raised the height of the table be a couple of inches.

Another question about the casters. Do you install the swivel to at the side, front of where? Also what direction do you install the non swivel casters to the side or the front?

I found an excellent source of casters (and information concerning) at this website. Talk to them about your application and expect advice about loads, surfaces to be rolled on, durability, and similar topics. They helped me find a good solution for my heavy radial arm saw base. "Caster City" seems an appropriate name for the outfit.