Thread: My first 'bowl' (and first ever lathe project)

My first 'bowl' (and first ever lathe project)

This is a simple bowl that I decided would be a good project to cut my teeth on. My mom has an old antique doll that she has on a stand. She bought a glass dome to cover the doll while on a trip overseas, only to get home and see that the dome is 1" too short for the doll. So I made this simple stand, the doll sits in the middle, recessed down an inch or so, and then the glass dome will sit up on the edge. It's not fancy, but it (hopefully) works. I will give it to her as a Christmas present next week. It's african mahogany, I had some extra 16/4 x 8" wide stock that I bought for some 3" legs I will be turning soon for an end table. Finished with Behlen's Woodturner's finish with a coat of beeswax. I learned a bunch with this simple project, got to try out my Nova chuck and the cole jaws that came with it when I goofed and gouged the bottom while I was turning the top, I had to turn it back around to fix it and the cole jaws came in handy.

Thanks for looking!

Where did I put that?

Rob,
    Looks like you are off to a great start. On to the next project. Mom will be impressed.

Nice job most especially for a first! Bet Mom will have a big thank you ready for the fix to her problem too.

4. Super start, Rob! Congratulations!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Turning something pretty and useful is always appreciated. Hope you have many more like them!

And so it begins! Looks like you've solved the problem with the dome nicely! Congrats on getting numero uno completed... Looking forward to the next one!

Great way to save a dome.....and attractive too. Keep up the good work!
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Well done! My first bowl was made long before I had ever seen a book or internet postings about turning. I think I used a 1/4" pairing chisel and an angle grinder. Lets just say that this piece of yours looks far better than my first attempt!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Well done for a first and she is going to like it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice job for a 1st, & something your Mom will be proud of for sure!
    Billy

Rob, I recall all too well my first turning after buying a lathe to turn a set of legs for a table!!! I am pretty sure I can predict the direction this will go for you!

You did some good work on this one. The mahogany is very nice wood to turn.

Rob - nice work - especially for your first turning! Be sure to sign and date the bottom!! Your Mom is going to love it!! Looking forward to seeing turning #2!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Ain't nothing wrong with that piece! That was a nice creative fix to the height issue and you've done well with it.