Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Walnut

A#1 very appealing.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Classic Cothren!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

wow...beautiful...

Typical, just typical, and by that I mean fantastic as usual. I never tire of you NE bowls, I hope someday that mine will approach the quality of yours.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Just beautiful!!!!! Someday I hope to be able turn one like that.

Nice bowl. Thanks for sharing.

That is a beauty! I have a question, do you turn it wet to the desired thickness and let it dry? Or do you leave it thick and return it after it dries? Thanks, Russell

8. Russell, I leave it thicker and then re-turn it to final thickness after it dries. A couple of folks on another site suggested turning it to final thickness while still green and then letting it dry (that's the way they do it). Next batch of green wood I get I'm going to give it a try. It's a lot easier turning it green than it is when dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rasmussen View Post
    Outstanding Mark, do you have any “in process” photos? I would love to see how this started out.
    Thanks Mark, the final product is beautiful but for me just getting started in the art of turning how you got there is fascinating and inspiring!
    After 25 years of flat work I’m hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren View Post
    Russell, I leave it thicker and then re-turn it to final thickness after it dries. A couple of folks on another site suggested turning it to final thickness while still green and then letting it dry (that's the way they do it). Next batch of green wood I get I'm going to give it a try. It's a lot easier turning it green than it is when dry.
    What thickness do you rough turn? That piece looks thinner than the 10% or about 1 1/2" thickness that you would normally rough turn. It would seem that the oval rough would have a lot of distortion, from my experience with some smaller NE bowls. What about holding on the bark or is that just a whole lot of CA ? The time of harvest has a lot to do with the bark holding, but I have made several barkless NE bowls.

Well done Mark!

Always nice to see your work.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

12. Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    What thickness do you rough turn? That piece looks thinner than the 10% or about 1 1/2" thickness that you would normally rough turn. It would seem that the oval rough would have a lot of distortion, from my experience with some smaller NE bowls.
    I just eyeball it, to be honest. The walls are 7/16" right now, so was probably around 1" when I roughed it out. In my own experience with Arkansas Black Walnut, the thinner it is roughed out the less movement there is while drying.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    What about holding on the bark or is that just a whole lot of CA ? The time of harvest has a lot to do with the bark holding, but I have made several barkless NE bowls.
    No CA used on this bark. You'll just have to take my word on this, but I honestly don't remember the last time I used CA on a bark-edge bowl. I can also tell you - again, in my own experience - that time of the year when the tree is downed has no effect on the bark. This particular tree was cut middle of the summer (I believe it was in July - I do recall the temperature being over 100 that day) and I've already turned several NE bowls and have about 3 more waiting to finish, and none of them have even hinted at losing bark. Maybe it is a geographic thing - I dunno.

Another beauty Mark!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.