Thread: Elevated Hollowform

Elevated Hollowform

I turned this piece a few months back and later posted a pic of the piece that came from our clubs website.
    However now I've / well I think that I've learned a bit about taking a better photo ? done some more work as far as setting up a photo booth but still need to source some better lighting for it.
    So this is MY PIC of the piece.

14 3/4"h X 4"w
    Maple hollowform with a bit of figure and spalting, that I attempted to highlite with dye. First dyed yellow then red was selectively applied with a small sponge brush. followed with several coats of W.O.P. stem and collar are also Maple with a black lacquer applied from a rattle can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good.
    C&C WELCOME

John, I recall the color differences in the other pics - you did well with this one! How did you like the black spray lacquer - Deft? Did you feel you got good coverage?

Love the colors and the upper body. Afraid I'm not a big fan of most tall spindled HF's. This one sure has a lot going for it though!

Thanks John

The colors in this pic are very true to the real color of the piece, I'm now using two seperate 100w cfl's with a color rendering of 1600 I've heard that they are available up to 3200-3600 but I've not been able to source them yet. The spray lacquer is tremclad and I've been very pleased with the results.

John

CFL's in 1600 Kelvin color temp? Have never seen them that low before, and last check they were available in about 10 color balance ranges. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them in 32~34 K range as well as closer to daylight 55K. Your images would benefit by diffusing the main light source in some manner, and replacing the R side light with a bounce board to slightly fill the shadows, and eliminate the second highlight on that side.

I guess what I ment to say was 16000k
    I did diffuse the light sources through a white fabric but with the finish having such a shine to it I'm still getting the hot spots.
    If bulbs are available in a higher kelvin rating then I would sure like to know where I could find them. You can see that even the pedestals are reflected on the forms

John

That is a neat turning John. With the size of the form and diameter/length of the stem, it makes me think that with the slightest disturbance, it could get knocked over and shatter into thousands of pieces.

the photo looks fine to me. Mine are so horrible, that this looks like perfection...I think this is quite wonderful..color, shape etc. On an emotional level, I feel it will fall over..I'm a little anxious as I look at it. Maybe I need more coffee....
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    ...On an emotional level, I feel it will fall over..I'm a little anxious as I look at it. Maybe I need more coffee....
    Or perhaps less coffee! ;-)

Neat form you've done here! My only nit would be the transition at the top of the pedestal... It seems a bit abrupt. This piece is definitely a keeper!

Thanks Michelle, Baxter, however even if it may look so the piece is quite stable as the hollowform was turned very thin, thin enough for light to shine through. Actually the original intenion was to have made a a "normal hollowform" with a bit of a larger base ( no pedestal ) However when I was drilling the piece for depth before hollowing I went a bit to far with the drill and very nearly pierced through the bottom of the form, so at that point I needed to improvise. Knowing that I was now going to wind up with a very small base on the body of the form I made the choice to put it on a pedestal so thin it had to be.

" Quote" Neat form you've done here! My only nit would be the transition at the top of the pedestal... It seems a bit abrupt. This piece is definitely a keeper

Thanks David, actually that would be my own nit-pic on the piece, I should have made the stem flow a bit more into the cup at the top of the pedestal, but it's rather difficult to put wood back.

John

Really like the form and the wood is beautiful.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John - I like it! Almost has a helium balloon type quality to it! I agree with you and David on the transition at the top of the pedestal and also - JMO - think that having the collar flush with the top of the form would also look better..... on the next one.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That was my first thought as well. Helium and it would float away. Neat.