Thread: Some Christmas stuff off the big one!

Some Christmas stuff off the big one!

I actually turn stuff! So here we go!!I don't like taking pictures...so here is what I have;Some Mike Smith holly in a 5x5'ish potpourri pot...top from CSUSA. Finished with Mylands...since it won't be handled much I like the richness it added without really changing the color much.A basting brush for my mom...she's 75 last week and get's to it better than I do! A double level handle depending on how her hands feel. Wood from my old friend Jim Delaney brush from CSUSA, WOP finish. Received a nice box yesterday, I never revel the sender...in case they don't want it made known! Some stoppers, the spalted BLM in a tree shape and the blue was one I cast a long time ago..just didn't feel like making a stopper! Ruth Niles stopper stuff, Hutts on the blue and CA on the tree. And the hardest thing I've done to date...White oak cheese and cracker platter. I had a chat with Bernie last week about how he did his. Marble insert from CSUSA. 15" with beads and coves. Bottom has no finish yet, but the base is 8" for stability. WOP finish that on this large a scale gave me fits, due to my lack of experience with large surface finishing. You'll notice some green streaks at the top. There was some splitting while the piece was turned at he rim. I almost cried after what the two slabs cost me! I thought "You have epoxy and Pearl Ex...you got this!" So prior to sanding, I mixed some clear Devcon and turquoise Pearl Ex and smushed it into the cracks top and bottom. I like it!!! C&C always used on the next one! Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas to us all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 12-18-2011 at 3:28 PM. Reason: better picture
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Great looking bunch Jim. I like the platter. Merry Christmas.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jim i also think you do really good work,and all of these pieces prove i'm right. Now don't go giving up on me getting you some of this wood i have. Just been out of work since before thanksgiving, so things are a little tight right now.

Thanks Bernie!!! I have always want to do these...it seems simple, but it was a dream that you helped with...again, Thanks!!
    Steve...since you have gone way beyond this...I trust your opinion...thanks old friend!!! And to all of us...Merry Christmas!!!

I see cheese and crackers in your future. Nice work.

Thanks Ron!!!...this is my sisters Christmas present so I'll wait for the next one. Funny thing...I put everything on facebook...sold 2 potpourri pots and have orders for 3 more platters in 1 day. But I do like cheese and crackers!!

Jim, nice work on all! Like the platter a lot.

Very nice work Jim! Your Mom is going to love the custom made basting brush! The platter looks great! The colored filler looks just fine. I really like the cast bottle stopper just because it is different!! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

They all look great, but the cheese board is my favorite. I was hoping for a 40" long pen though I saw one on the net once that was around 6 feet long some turners had done for some reason.
    Jack